Win 8.1 Pro won't shut down, hdd led stays on
I'm running win 8.1 pro and I can neither shut down nor reboot my system. As soon as my user session gets signed off and the blue waiting screen appears, my hdd led lights up and stays on forever. Longest waiting period was 12 hours without any progress
so I have to force shut down every time. If I shut down my PC immediately after boot and before first login, it shuts down as expected. I think that this behaviour appeared while installing some office 2010 service packs via win update, but unfortunately removing
office completely didn't change anything. Maybe it's win update itself that's causing the problem because for example if I run windows internal drive cleanup utiliy and include win update files it takes about 10 minutes until the cleanup finishes. Any advices
are highly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:44 PM
September 10th, 2015 10:42pm
Open Control Panel window, click System and Security.
- On the System and Security window, click Power Options from the right pane.
- On the Power Options window, click Choose what the power buttons do option from the left pane.
- On the System Settings window, click Change settings that are currently unavailable link to enable the advanced options.
- From the enabled options under Shutdown settings section, uncheck
Turn on fast startup (recommended) checkbox to disable Hybrid Shutdown.
- Click Save changes
September 11th, 2015 6:12am
Thank you for your question.
By the issue, we suggest you refer to the following steps to check if the issue persist:
1. Do clean boot by the following link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
2. Run SFC /ScanNow in CMD
3. Check if there are any errors in application log and post them for our troubleshooting
If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know.
September 11th, 2015 11:12pm