I recently refreshed my Windows 8 installation as I had experienced a problem with graphics drivers which left my PC barely running.
The refresh seemed to go fine, albeit slowly, yet my computer was back up and running as it always had been. However, when I then attempted to reinstall the windows updates and programs I had lost in the refresh, it would fail for all updates with error code 800F0922. Furthermore, several 3rd party programs would fail to install, citing a 'microsoft.vc80.crt' error.
I was unable, therefore, to update to Windows 8.1 through the Windows Store (as this requires a readiness-for-8.1 update for Windows 8) which required me to update through a disc copy burnt from an .iso downloaded with my key. I had hoped the installation of Windows 8.1 would fix my problem, however it did not - I am experiencing exactly the same errors with all Windows updates and certain programs.
I have determined from a large trawl of the internet and Microsoft forums that my problem is related to a problem in the installation of .Net Framework 3.5. I therefore followed all given instructions as to turn this feature on and fix it.
When attempting to install .Net Framework reliant products, I receive Error 1935.
Let me be clear in this situation: The following fixes I have tried have all taken place on my recently-refreshed machine both normal and clean-booted, from elevated-level command prompt where applicable and with no 3rd party anti-virus or firewall software enabled.
Here is a non-exhaustive list of what I have tried and the results (I have left out my first attempted fixes solely related to Windows update as it became clear my problem was not isolated to that particular area):
- Control panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features On or Off -> .Net Framework 3.5 -> Installation (not download) fails with error 0x0800F0922
- From command line dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:E:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess (where E:\ is my Windows 8.1 disc) -> completion bar moves to 99.8% where it hangs for a few seconds, and fails with error 0x800F0922.
- Using sfc /scannow to repair windows files -> completes with no found corruptions.
- Using dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth -> moves to 20% where is hangs for ~10mins and then proceeds to complete at 100% saying it has repaired corruptions. Running it again provides the same result.
- Using chkdsk -> completes with no errors found.
- Refresh Windows 8.1 -> the problem persists on the refreshed machine.
I provide my DISM and CBS log here: http://sdrv.ms/1e6hp0k
To pre-empt questions regarding the upgrade status of my Windows installation - yes, I upgraded to Windows 8 from 7 using a disc and then WMC key. However, my installation of 8.1 was done through a different key (as I was unable to simply upgrade through the store for reasons mentioned above).
I am only very short of completely reinstalling my Windows installation, but would prefer this as a last resort. I am happy to provide any more information that I may have missed in order for you to diagnose my problem.
- Edited by coldsky Wednesday, November 27, 2013 5:14 PM