xcopy suddenly stopped working
hi all, suddenly a batch file wth an xcopy command in has stopped working. This batch file has worked fine for a while now. The file simply copies a number of files from the C drive to the E drive. Nothing has changed, the drive letter has not changed etc any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
September 10th, 2012 8:13am

Hi Are you trying to make sure that the destination directory is empty in this way? It is NOT a good idea to assume that C:\signat~1 or C:\signat~2 will refer to the same directory as C:\signatures Good Luck
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2012 8:24am

sorry but i dont quite understand what you mean
September 10th, 2012 8:25am

Hi 1.Dear, check your Drive that has empty space 2.Check your file name wasn't same to an old file or folder Good Luck
September 10th, 2012 8:35am

so do you mean check and make sure the E drive is empty?
September 10th, 2012 8:56am

Yes dear and also check that 2 same name exist or not good luck
September 10th, 2012 9:04am

Check the destination drive is formatted with NTFS partition to accommodate larger file size (> 4GB) from source directory. Thanks
September 10th, 2012 12:50pm

Hi, Please check if files are locked when doing the copy. Meanwhile, have a try to use Robocopy to do the same step and see the result. TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
September 11th, 2012 5:09am

the drive has been reformatted - the user also tells me he has tried the same batch file on another computer and it works ok. Does this mean the issue is with the computer the batch file is being ran from?
September 11th, 2012 5:38am

i restored the folder from previous versions and the xcopy batch file worked ok. What could have changed that will cause the xcopy to fail?
September 11th, 2012 6:43am

is there any way xcopy can show me which file or folder is causing the copy to fail?
September 11th, 2012 7:00am

/c makes xcopy move on without reporting the error - this is the closest match to what i want thanks all for the help
September 12th, 2012 10:52am

hyperNoddy, I understand that you have found a solution to your problem but, I would suggest using robocopy instead of xcopy since robocopy has a logging feature. Jason
September 12th, 2012 12:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics