workgroup computers broke after puting windows 2003 sbs server on the network
I have a network with novell servers! my windows workstations(xp pro)are in a workgroup lets call it dave workgroup daveafter installing a new windows sbs 2003 server dave.local and puting it on the network my network places no longer worksif I go to browse workgroup computers I get the error message that dave is not accessable.I think that I broke somthing but not sure what.new 2003 sbs server DAVE.localold workgroup DAVEwindows xp pro workgroup was fine and all computers are still in workgroup no changes there yetI've shutdown the new sbs server for nowI've restarted my workstation still no changes.any Ideas would be helpfullThanks Dave
July 7th, 2008 10:23pm

The machines in the workgroup should be able to work OK with the domain. I have a domain and a workgroup with the same Netbios name running on the smae network. I have no idea how it will affect the Novell servers. Have you promoted the server to be a DC? It will stop working soon if you don't. That is a requirement of the SBS licence. If it is a DC it will become the domain master browser and should show the members of theworkgroup as well as the domain members. The standard tool for troubleshooting browser problems is browstat from the support tools.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 8th, 2008 5:53am

HiThe simplest way would probably be to install Services for NetWare on the SBS server and to configure the workstations to still log on to the Novell Directory. I've had a similar problem before that was solved by doing this, however, the workstations were Windows 98 workstations. SBS requires Active Directory, but it doesn't mean that you have to actually use it for the rest of your network.If you want to use Active Directory, I think the part that could be causing your problem is related to the NetWare client software and the way the Active Directory client logs you on to the network. In this case, it might be a better idea to post the question on a Novell forum.RegardsLionel
July 31st, 2008 11:09am

Also had an issue here... it was due to the static IP and the forwarder on the DNS not being synchronized. One pointed to 172.168.18.10 and the other to 172.168.18.12.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 24th, 2009 4:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics