winrm quickconfig doesn't work
Hello All, I am trying to figure out why winrm isn't working right. I ran winrm quickconfig and just get an error message and I haven't been able to find ANY solutions online for this particular message. I am running Windows Server 2008 R2. How do I completely uninstall winrm and reinstall it back to defaults? Thank You in advance! PS C:\Users\greg> winrm quickconfig WinRM already is set up to receive requests on this machine. WSManFault Message = The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the dest ination is running and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running o n the destination, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and configure the WinRM service: "winrm quickconfig". Error number: -2144108526 0x80338012 The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the destination is run ning and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running on the destinat ion, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination t o analyze and configure the WinRM service: "winrm quickconfig".
September 3rd, 2010 11:05am

hi there This page might help you http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384372(VS.85).aspx Thanks DineshPlease vote if my answer helped you.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2010 3:56pm

Hi Dinesh, It doesn't matter which arguments I use with winrm (even winrm qc), I get the same error: C:\Users\greg>winrm qc WinRM already is set up to receive requests on this machine. WSManFault Message = The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the dest ination is running and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running o n the destination, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and configure the WinRM service: "winrm quickconfig". Error number: -2144108526 0x80338012 The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the destination is run ning and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running on the destinat ion, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination t o analyze and configure the WinRM service: "winrm quickconfig". I checked the Event Logs and here are the events logged after I ran winrm quickconfig Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category Error 9/9/2010 2:23:27 AM Microsoft-Windows-WinRM 142 Response handling WSMan operation Invoke failed, error code 2150858770 Information 9/9/2010 2:23:25 AM Microsoft-Windows-WinRM 166 User authentication The chosen authentication mechanism is Negotiate Information 9/9/2010 2:23:25 AM Microsoft-Windows-WinRM 80 Request handling Sending the request for operation Invoke to destination machine and port localhost:47001 Information 9/9/2010 2:23:25 AM Microsoft-Windows-WinRM 166 User authentication The chosen authentication mechanism is Negotiate I don't know why nothing, even quickconfig, is working! I don't have a firewall running and no virus scanning, etc. How can I just uninstall and reinstall winrm on Windows 2008 R2? Thank You!
September 9th, 2010 12:31pm

Hi, Pls try the below link for trubleshooting http://blogs.technet.com/b/jonjor/archive/2009/01/09/winrm-windows-remote-management-troubleshooting.aspx Remove WinRM on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 In Control Panel, in Programs, open Programs and Features. Uninstall any instances of Windows Remote Management that appear in the installed programs list or the installed updates list. WinRM might be listed as a Windows update with one of the following Knowledge Base articles numbers: KB936059 KB950099Thanks and Regards, Vikas This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
September 9th, 2010 3:40pm

Nope, I have gone through that and every similar blog and document available. I did all the TROUBLESHOOTING. I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 (notice R2), and it seems the WinRM component was installed as part of the base system unlike 2008 and earlier. It doesn't matter what arguments I put behind winrm, I get the same error message.
September 9th, 2010 3:52pm

Hi, Please install hotfix KB981845 from the following site: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;981845 After the installation, please run the following commands: winrm invoke Restore winrm/Config winrm quickconfig What's the result? Tim Quan
September 10th, 2010 5:45am

Hi, How are things going? We have not heard back from you in a few days and wanted to check on the status of the issue. Please let us know how things turned out. Tim Quan TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 13th, 2010 12:23am

After running the hotfix and rebooting, I did the commands and got the same exact error messages on both commands: C:\Users\greg>winrm invoke Restore winrm/Config WSManFault Message = The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the dest ination is running and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running o n the destination, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and configure the WinRM service: "winrm quickconfig". Error number: -2144108526 0x80338012 The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the destination is run ning and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running on the destinat ion, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination t o analyze and configure the WinRM service: "winrm quickconfig". C:\Users\greg>winrm quickconfig WinRM already is set up to receive requests on this machine. WSManFault Message = The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the dest ination is running and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running o n the destination, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and configure the WinRM service: "winrm quickconfig". Error number: -2144108526 0x80338012 The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the destination is run ning and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running on the destinat ion, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination t o analyze and configure the WinRM service: "winrm quickconfig". C:\Users\greg>
September 16th, 2010 3:12am

Hello Greg, 1) We understand that you don’t have a firewall running. Considering this, please be sure that the Windows Firewall service is started. The Windows Firewall doesn’t need to actually be on but the service should be started. Issues may be presented if this service can’t be checked. 2) Enable the Analytic log for WinRM in Event Viewer. Repro the error when running “winrm quickconfig” and look for clues in the log. Operational channel is enabled by default. Analytic needs to be enabled Use the following to show and enable Analytic log: • Menu>View>Show Analytic and Debug Logs • Rightclick on Analytic log and Enable Log 3) If no clues are found in the Analytic or Operational logs, collect a WPP trace. This trace will need to be submitted to CSS for analysis. WinRM WPP Traces: Launch a PowerShell console with the elevated admin credentials and run the following commands: • Import-Module psdiagnostics (if you get an error that the script cant be run because of a restriction, run “set-executionpolicy unrestricted” in powershell and try again. When finished, consider running “set-executionpolicy restricted” to restore the default setting. • Enable-WSManTrace • Now reproduce the problem by sending the subscription packets from the client. Continue with the next step after the problem stops. • Disable-wsmantrace • Send us the file %windir%\system32\wsmtraces.log Please let me know once you have traces enable and I will provide you an FTP site to upload the files. Thanks,ankit
September 22nd, 2010 11:58am

Hi, sc config "WinRM" start= auto net start WinRM winrm create winrm/config/listener?Address=*+Transport=HTTP netsh firewall add portopening TCP 80 "Windows Remote Management Note: for Vista/2008, the start type should be delayed auto start OR In Servercore, Type sconfig.cmd and choose option 7 for configure the Remote Management
September 23rd, 2010 7:40am

Nope, the firewall service is started. I am lost at step#2 - where do I enable analytic log? Thanks
September 24th, 2010 5:04pm

ok, I figured out how to gather the analytic I found this error message An error was encountered while processing an operation. Error Code: 2150858770 Error String:<f:WSManFault xmlns:f="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wsmanfault" Code="2150858770" Machine="SERVER.MYINFORMATIONHERE.XXX.COM"><f:Message>The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the destination is running and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running on the destination, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and configure the WinRM service: &quot;winrm quickconfig&quot;. </f:Message></f:WSManFault>
September 24th, 2010 5:23pm

Hello Greg, At this point, We would need to get the WPP traces using the step # 3 listed above on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 post. Unfortunately that's not something that we can really do via the forums, so the best thing to do at this point would be to open a support case with us. That will get you a dedicated engineer assigned to the case who can collect the data needed and interface with our debug teams. If you have a support contract with us, contact your TAM to get the case set up. If you don't, then this link details the various options that are available: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en=us;offerprophone Thanks, Ankit Oberoiankit
October 20th, 2010 11:23am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics