wininit.exe listening on port 10000
I am trying to install Symantec BE agent on 2 Win2008 R2 enterprise servers . Problem I found is that symantec has a service (beremote.exe)that needs to listen on 10000. Now when I perform a netstat -abno I see that Wininit.exe is currently listening on that port. Now symantec said that I could change the beremote.exe to another port 9000. And I agree this will work, but I have over 100 servers that the BE Agent is already working on and they are all set to Beremote.exe at port 10000. I do not want to change 100 + servers just because these 2 servers. I looked at other servers that have Win2008 server R2 enterprise installed and they all have the Wininit.exe at port 49152. Is ther any way to change the WININIT.exe to listen to that port? Or better yet why are these 2 servers different? Help :) Thank you in advance Dan
April 8th, 2011 6:48pm

Hi. I would suggest you look at the following link from Symantec How to change the default port used by the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers (RAWS) I would not suggest changing default ports of Windows built in services. And if you have a not ancient Backup Exec, it is only required on these two servers. Note for Backup Exec 11d and above: The steps above can be done on the only the server/s affected. All other remote servers can have the existing/default NDMP Port. Note for Backup Exec 10d and below: The steps given above must be performed on the media server and on each remote machine being backed up. If the NDMP ports do not match, an error (Figure 3) will occur when attempting to select remote machines for backup.Oscar Virot
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 8th, 2011 7:42pm

isn't there a virus that masqurades as wininit.exe that moves to that port? to be honest, I'd check one of those servers with the different port and check for other copies of winini.exe first.
April 9th, 2011 1:03am

Hi SJB99, Thanks for posting here. > isn't there a virus that masqurades as wininit.exe that moves to that port? To protect this, you may consider deploying the software restriction policy by using the Hash rule. In this way, the fake " WININIT.exe " will not be executed. Software Restriction Policies http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349795(WS.10).aspx > I do not want to change 100 + servers just because these 2 servers. You may also take look the port forwarding feature in NAT : How NAT Works http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756722(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 11th, 2011 1:53pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics