windows server 2008 share problem with Vista
We setup the first Windows 2008 server in our 2003 AD domain. I have thisserver setup with the File Services role. We have 1 share on this server and users have mapped drive to this share. About every 4-5 hours or anytime intermittently all vista usersget disconnected from this share .They can not access the share . But at the same time the XP users are fine and can access the share & files in it with no problem.The only way to getvista usersreconnected to this share is to reboot the server.The vista users can connect to share on windows 2003 server fine.This is the only windows 2008 server on our network. I have checked the event log on server as well as workstations and I do not see any entries related to this. Any ideas on why this is happening? Please let me know if you need more details.
July 3rd, 2008 12:24am

Hi, To narrow down the issue, can you tell me if these problematic Windows Vista boxes are in the same subnet? Have you turned on the "Network Discovery and "File Sharing" on these problematic Windows Vista boxes? Can you access the server share on Windows Server 2008 file server via UNC name when this issue happens? If not, what is the exact error? Please let us know the exact error WORD BY WORD. Also, you may follow the steps to add the registry key on these Windows Vista boxes and then check if the issue will re-occur. Locate and then add the following key in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters Value: KeepConnData type : REG_DWORDRange : 1 to 65535 (sec)set the value to maximum : 65535 For more information, you may refer to: Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Losthttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684 Hope it helps. Your potential. Our passion.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 4th, 2008 12:46pm

The problem is all over, the boxes in same subnet as well as from different subnet. When the problem ocuurs its to all Vista boxes through out all subnets."Network Discovery and "File Sharing"is turned off on Vista.When the problem occurs we can not access share by any means, not by UNC, not from mapped drive, even not from Ip address. When try to access the share, it just spins for long time and appearently gives error - can not access \\server name\sharename or mapped drive letter .This is not the case when the share connection is idle (as mention in support article athttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684) , even when the user is accessing file & all of asudden they can not access. But will still try this registry settings.Thanks for your response.
July 5th, 2008 5:05pm

Wow, we have the same problem here. Windows Server 2008 x64 as file server with few shares. Sometimes users with Windows XP disconnects from shares and cannot connect to shares again until server rebooting. In the same time users with Vista working without problems. Not any errors in logs on server nor at clients. Is somebody meet and solve this problem?
December 9th, 2008 9:14pm

We are having a similar problem with Server 2008. The system in question is running Server 2008 Enterprise x86. It has the following roles:File ServerStreaming Media ServicesApplication ServerWeb ServerJust one difference, trying to connect to shares via UNC from Vista works fine, but when trying to hit shares via \\servername\folder from an XP SP2 machine, it times out with an error that the server is not accessible.Firewall is off on server and clientserver is pingable from across the lan and wanA system reboot actually fixes the problem for a few days... then it crops up again.Thanks for any help out there,Tom
February 19th, 2009 9:05pm

Hi all,did anyone find an answer/solution for this issue?We have a network with several servers (2008 standard edition and 2003 standard Edition) with several subnets.Now we have two users using vista and only those two computers cannot access a fileshare on one of our server 2008 machines. (just this one machine)When we reboot this server,they can access the shares again, temporaryStrange thing is that they can access shares on other server 2008 machines andother server 2003 machines when thisissue is occuring.XP machines don't have this issue, i have tested theshare when the error occurd on the vista machines, but XP just opens the share, no problems there.So the issue is narrowed down to vista and this server.Rebooting the vista client doesnt help, only a reboot of the server seems to solve the issue (temporary)The servers arelocated in another subnet than the clients, however this doesn't seem to bother the connections from vista to the other servers (who are all in the same subnet...)Scheduling a reboot on this server is a 'carreer limited move' i think :-) So any ideas or help would me appreciated. Thanks in advance,Job
April 3rd, 2009 1:12pm

Try installing WindowsServer 2008Service Pack 2 and check it. ThanksSyed Khairuddin
April 4th, 2009 10:00am

Thanks for the advice, we will try this when SP2 is RTM but this server is too important to 'just' test the RC on...testing it on another server won't do much, cause this is the only server we have this issue on...What i've lacked to tell is that this machine is also a virtual server (Hyper-v) However; we have more of those and with no problems with file sharing so far... Maybe any other idea's where to look for, or maybe how to troubleshoot this.Thanks in advance!Job
April 7th, 2009 4:30pm

Hi, We have the same problem here at our office. 1) Win Vista users are having intermittent access problem with our 2008 server file server. 2) Problem is not observed by Win XP users. 3) This was working fine 3 weeks ago. 4) Noticed that CA ArcServe backup is also having timeout problems. Note that the files for backup are on local machine only. 5) SEP 11 client (managed) has exclamation mark showing that there's some problems. So far we haven't tried rebooting the system yet. The only error reported is "Faulting application ProtectionUtilSurrogate.exe, version 11.0.3001.2198, time stamp 0x48c9b939, faulting module ole32.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a74c, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000741e4, process id 0xdfc, application start time 0x01c9bf489cec3583." From my research it's somewhat related to SEP client installed. I'm trying to look for other possible cause besides this. Also, I don't want to jump into installing SP2 yet. I'm just confused that this was all working fine for 3 weeks. Thanks in advance for your help!
May 5th, 2009 11:23am

Hi, Any news about this problem? JMBarros
November 4th, 2009 1:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics