windows server 2008 SBS Console.
I have been working with windows servers since about 2001. I have always used the MMC to manage my domains and active directory and dcpromo from the run line to set up my domain controller. This has never caused a problem for me. I just set up a new server 2008 standard for a client that I manage, The office manager is dead set on using the SBS console to manage the user accounts. Why is it that the 30 users i created in MMC do not show up in the user group containers in the SBS console, and why is the Console telling me that my server was not promoted to domain controller when it was, still is, AD is running user accounts are authenticating, dhcp and dns are running all the shares are working, every thing is fine other than the fact that the office manager cant use the console to see the accounts I have already made. Do I need to take this thing down and rebuild it using the "hand holding wizards" in order for the console to work correctly?
January 18th, 2011 4:31pm

Hello, to get you correct, you have installed the server and added it as additional DC in the existing SBS domain? Or did you install the new server just with the same domain name as the SBS server, which OS is used on the SBS machine?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 18th, 2011 4:41pm

This is a replacement server. I set the server up as a new server in a new domain. I used dcpromo from the run line like I always have. Once I set up the domain and active direcotry I went into mmc and set up my user accounts. Now when you log into the console it says there are no users and the server has not been set up as a dc.
January 18th, 2011 5:13pm

When I open the MMC and expand the domain controlers tree it show the server as the DC and the Global catalog server. Every thing is working fine other than the console.
January 18th, 2011 5:24pm

Hello, installing a DC with a domain name as used on the SBS domain is NOT the same, the SecurityIdentifier(SID) is different. And this means, even if the same domain name is used, you have built a complete NEW forest/domain which has NO relationship to the SBS domain with the same name. So either add the computers to the new created domain and all settings have to be reconfigured, also users have access by default to the user profiel from the SBS domain or start from scratch with the new machine and add it as additional DC to the existing SBS domain. Unfortunal you didn't answer the question about the SBS domain OS version. If it is Windows server 2003 you have to upgrade the schema BEFORE you can add the Windows server 2008 machine as DC, with adprep commands from the Windows server 2008 installation disk on the SBS machine with an account that is member of the enterprise/schema admins.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
January 18th, 2011 5:31pm

Its not an upgrade, its replacement server. I did a clean install of server 2008 small buisness standard addition. I set up the server as a new server on a new domain in a new forest. Once the server had been promited to the dc, and the gc i went in to the mmc and created all 32 user accounts with roaming profiles. Next I added the 6 cleint computers to the domain with out an issue. Every thing works fine. The shares the authentication dchp every thing is great. The only issue I have is that the office manager wants to use the SBS console. That console says that there are no user accounts even though there are via the mmc. and the the server has not been promoted to domain controller even thought it has and the mmc shows it at being the dc, and the gc server.
January 18th, 2011 6:21pm

Hello, i understand, sorry i have no experience with the SBS specific options. I suggest that you use the SBS forum instead: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/smallbusinessserver/threads The SBS experts should know which console you are talking about.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
January 18th, 2011 6:42pm

From my limited knowledge of SBS, the secret of success seems to be 'let the wizards do it". If you want to do your own config, use 2008 Standard. Bill
January 18th, 2011 10:49pm

Yea, thats why i called it the Hand holding wizard. ;)
January 19th, 2011 12:35am

From my limited knowledge of SBS, the secret of success seems to be 'let the wizards do it". If you want to do your own config, use 2008 Standard. Bill I am, The server is running windows server 2008 standard FE. Its the office manager that has the mind set that the sbs console is worth its weight in gold.
January 19th, 2011 11:27am

Any one else have any ideas why sbs console does not see the work done via MMC and DCPROMO?
January 19th, 2011 4:06pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics