windows server 2003 does not reboot after installing XP
Hi I installed Windows Xp on another prtition which already has Windows 2003 in it. After installing Xp, I am not able to boot into 2003, system restarts if i choose the 2003 server option during the startup??I tried using Fixboot from recovery console, but it did not work.please help me out.
April 21st, 2009 9:15pm

General rule of thumb for dual-booting. Always install OSs in reverse chronological order.IE: Install XP before 2003, as XP (edit: I originally wrote 2003) came out before Server 2003 (well, if you exclude the whole SP2/SP3 thing).But that doesn't answer your how to fix question. Hopefully someone else has an answer for you, but at least you may prevent this from happening in the future.Also, with Virtualization being so easy to use, next time you may want to consider running XP virtualized on your 2003 server.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 22nd, 2009 5:44am

Hi, How many hard drives are installed? If more than 1, are both Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 installed on the primary drive? As you mentioned installed Windows Xp on another prtition which already has Windows 2003 in it, I would like to confirm whether they are installed on the same partition or different partitions. Please understand that we can only install one operating system on one partition. Therefore, please make sure to install Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 on different partitions. Can you paste the boot.ini file here? boot.ini is a hidden file and you should show hidden files and folders first: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/slides/showextensionslide3.htm Then you can see boot.ini in the root directory of the system drive. Tim Quan - MSFT
April 22nd, 2009 6:00am

Hi, I have one hard disk and on parition C, server 2003 is installed and on partition E, windows XP is installed. First, server 2003 was installed and then windows xp. And here is my boot.ini file content:[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetectmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimerThanks,Vishwa.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 22nd, 2009 6:44am

Hi, Thank you for the reply. Now I suggest referring to the following article to resolve this issue: Windows Server 2003 Does Not Start on a Computer That Is Configured for Dual Booting http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322952/en-us Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
April 22nd, 2009 9:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics