windows cannot start windows firewall/ internet connection sharing(ICS)
hey there, i cant start the service windows firewall/ internet connection sharing(ICS), every time i do it, it gives me error: "Could not start the windows firewall/ internet connection sharing(ICS) service on local computer." error 123: filename, directory name, or volume name syntax is incorrect. windows server 2003.
November 29th, 2010 6:43am

Hi, I would like to suggest you perform the following troubleshooting suggestions: To make sure that the ImagePath value for the service that returned the error message does not contain any extra characters or spaces: 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). 2. Locate the ImagePath string value under the following key in the registry for Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess Note: This step applies to any service under the Services key in the registry. 3. Open the ImagePath value on the right, and then make sure that it does not contain any extra colons (:), spaces, or characters. The following is an example of correct string value for the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service: %SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs 4. Quit Registry Editor. If the issue persists, you may try to export/backup the registry entry for ShareAccess. I have uploaded the new registry entries for ShareAccess. Please try to import it to test the issue. To download the new registry entries for ShareAccess, please refer to the following link: http://cid-49401e22fd9c1bd2.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/SharedAccess.zip Regards, Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 30th, 2010 1:31am

hey arthur_li, it doesnt work.
December 1st, 2010 2:24am

Hi, I would like to confirm that have you tried to import the ShareAccess registry I provided above also? What is the operating system, Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2003 R2, x86 or x64? Since the ShareAccess registry I uploaded is for Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 and if your operating system is not the same, please find a correct registry to import. You may reinstall it to another computer or virtual machine to export the ShareAccess registry. If it does not work, you may run the command: SFC /Scannow to scan and repair the system files. For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747 If the issue persists, I also would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot to check if there is any software conflicts. For the detailed steps of how to perform a Clean Boot environment, please refer to the following steps: 1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Run box, and then press ENTER. 2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Continue. 3. On the General tab, click Selective startup. 4. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load startup items check box. 5. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all. 6. Click OK, and then click Restart. What is the result in Clean Boot? Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 1st, 2010 9:32pm

hey Arthur_Li, first i want to thank you for your information and help, anyway iam using windows server 2003 standard edetion service pack 2, and i did import the shared access you uploaded but it doesnt work. and after i did the sfc /scannow, no result at all.
December 5th, 2010 3:33am

Hi, You may also check if the following Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) related services are started: Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Network Connections Windows Management Instrumentation Please also let us know the test result in Clean Boot. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 5th, 2010 9:37pm

Hi, All Proccess are started. what kind of result that suppose to appear, because when i did a clean boot as u told me to do then --> run --> cmd --> sfc /scannow a process box appears and it work until full process ends. but no results no message. but if you mean that is it working, then no its still same error.
December 6th, 2010 3:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics