windows 7 won't boot, need access to local copy of desktop redirection
Hi, Our topology is a sbs 2003 server with windows 7 clients. Desktop and my documents is redirected on the server, people have access offline no problem. Here is my problem; 1 user created documents, saved it on the desktop, but never got to the office for synchronization and the pc crashed, a lot of errors saying something like "access to data impossible". So now, it freezes before the windows login (black screen with mouse pointer only). Tried last known good, safe mode, etc...nothing works. A scandisk says everything is ok. What was fun with windows xp was that you could put the cd in and repair over itself without loosing data, applications, etc..., men I did this a lot of time over the years and it worked great. Now, for whatever reason, windows 7 doesn't have this option (as I know of), to do it, you have to boot in windows and do an upgrade (that is brilliant). What do you do if windows doesn't boot???? Screwed. Second option, put the disk elsewhere and access my data, but since it's desktop redirection, there is no "desktop" folder in the user's local path, i guess it's all in a file somewhere for offline use, but you can't access this data (as I know of). As I understand, the only way for me to get those files, is to be able to login with that user. I can't even do a new installation since it is using desktop redirection. I didn't see any posts for windows 7, so I post here, sorry if it's not right. Anyone has an idea how I could get that data? It's a windows 7 pro, in domain with desktop redirection. Thanks
May 1st, 2012 1:23pm

Hello, ---Now, for whatever reason, windows 7 doesn't have this option (as I know of), to do it, you have to boot in windows and do an upgrade (that is brilliant). What do you do if windows doesn't boot???? Screwed. Of course you can boot from the Windows 7 Setup DVD and use the Upgrade option (In-place Upgrade) to repair the system. ---Second option, put the disk elsewhere and access my data, but since it's desktop redirection, there is no "desktop" folder in the user's local path, i guess it's all in a file somewhere for offline use, but you can't access this data (as I know of). The location of the stored offline cache is by default under C:\Windows\CSC directory How to re-initialize the offline files cache and database http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230738 ---I didn't see any posts for windows 7, so I post here, sorry if it's not right. Anyone has an idea how I could get that data? It's a windows 7 pro, in domain with desktop redirection. We do have Windows 7 forum. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/w7itpro Thanks Zhang
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 1st, 2012 10:44pm

Hi Zhang, Thanks for your responses. I have placed a call at microsoft support, and the engineer confirmed me that you cannot do a repair while booting on the windows 7 dvd. My tech actually tried this a while ago and this is his answer; I tested that a while ago and it asked me to boot into windows and try again. For the second option, go insided the csc folder (I thought it was not readable, that you could not actually see those word and excel file directly in the folder, guess I was wrong, good to know), unfortunately, there is 2 files in there (namespace and temp), no office stuff so I guess there is/was corruption. What is weird is that chkdsk does not find any problems. We are still with microsoft but it seems that there will be no answer to this since it looks like corruption, even though no chkdsk errors Third, thanks for the link Regards
May 2nd, 2012 10:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics