windows 2008 r2 server - chkdsk loop - An unspecified error occurred (696e647863686b2e dee)

Hi,

One of our main windows 2008 r2 file servers (HP Proliant ML350 G6) seems to have a dirty d: drive.

After every reboot, chkdsk runs on drive "d:" and stops with an unspecified error (696e647863686b2e dee) when checking indexes. After the error it continues to boot and start normally into windows. The d: drive looks ok, but when I run chkdsk in windows the chkdsk runs and stops at the same point without warning or anything else. The gui stops and exits, period. No message nothing.

When I check the d: drive with "fsutil dirty query d:", the disk is marked as "dirty" ....

The HP advanced Proliant diagnostic tools did not show any problems with the hardisks, I'm running latest HP drivers and firmwares on the server. Last but not least I don't have any special warnings/errors etc in the event viewer.

Here is the output of chkdsk f.ex. in safe mode I did a few hours ago, the output/error is always identical:

C:\>chkdsk d: /R /F /X

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is DATA.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...

184832 file records processed.

File verification completed.

15624 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

0 EA records processed.

5 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...

10 percent complete. (182686 of 212928 index entries processed)
An unspecified error occurred (696e647863686b2e dee).

---------------------------

As of now, I have disabled the boot-time check on drive d: (with "chkntfs d: /x"), but I would prefer to restore it when the problem is fixed.

I tried a lot of chkdsk and safe mode combinations, nothing helped. I don't have any clues ... so your help is really welcome.

Thanks a lot!

KInd regards,

Didier

• Edited by didierlux Friday, March 28, 2014 6:37 AM it is a Proliant G6 not G7
March 27th, 2014 11:17pm

Hi,

There are multiple cause for the issue such as an improper shutdown sequence, or a more serious hardware problem that can indicate a failing drive.

On NTFS volumes, the dirty bit is typically set only if the file system has detected potential corruption. In this case, an event is logged in the System event log. Please check the System event log for more information.

Please refer to this kb article for more and detail information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322275/en-us

Meanwhile, I am not sure if this is a harddisk issue, so i would suggest you could ask for the HP support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 28th, 2014 11:05am

Hi,

Any update about the issue?

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

April 8th, 2014 10:49am

Hi Vivian,

No still the same. I checked the event viewer but I was not able to find any related disk issues.

The server has been updated with latest HP firmware and tools, the HP tools do not show any disk problems. I don't know what I could do next.

The D drive is our main fileshare Volume, part of DFS groups, containing a few GB of data and VSS snapshots (file history) etc. If possible, I would like to avoid to get 2 new disks, creating 1 new hp array and copying the data on the new array ...

As far as I know the server didn't have any improper shutdown, it is also behind multiple UPSes. The server is running "system center endpoint protection", I thought that was also a possible suspect, but I don't have any evidence or logs that proves it.

Regards,

Didier

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 17th, 2014 9:18am

Just in case someone else encounters the problem ...

Being in contact with MS support and after some reports, hotfixes and troubleshooting MS concluded it was a filesystem corruption problem. I was advised to recreate HP volumes, partitions, reformat and restore etc... This did indeed fix the problem, so this was indeed related to filesystem corruption.

If you encounter the problem be ready for emergency restore!

Didier

June 2nd, 2014 5:40am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics