windows 2008 r2 max local users accounts
hello, how much of local user accounts that i can creat on windows 2008 r2? also how much of concernet seassions? thanks.
April 6th, 2012 6:32am

Hi, I don't know that there is a concrete practical limit (see below for the theoretical). In days of old, you could roughly work out the amount because the registry size was limited to around 150MB, but since you can adjust the maximum registry size, that obviously means you can adjust how many local account can be created. There's a number of articles around that suggest you can have upwards of 60,000 local accounts based on the old registry size limit of 150MB, though those articles are old and relate to the Windows NT4 to 2000 period. Nevertheless, it gives you some very rough napkin match you can work with. Although it's a generalisation, I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't be concerned about upper limits. I can't find an article specifically relating to local accounts, but for active directory, you can have around a billion security principles (reference). This is more or less validated by the fact that the SID structure appears to use ULONG (32 bit) values for the relative identifiers, which while scaling up to 4 billion, only 30 bits are used. I'd expect you're not going to hit those limits. Concurrent sessions is a different kettle of fish and vary wildly depending on the application or service. There's no one answer to this. It could be a small figure like 128 or something in the many millions range. Practical limiters such as the amount of memory consumed per connection and so on also come into play when you're talking about such large figures. Cheers, Lain
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 6th, 2012 7:07am

I believe the theorical limit would be the number of SID values available in the local SAM Account database, which is 2^30 - 1, or 1,073,741,823. This would be the maximum number of objects (of all classes) that can ever be created. Of course the first object you create is number 1000. All lower values are reserved for built-in objects. Practical limits would be much less. Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
April 6th, 2012 10:50am

Hi; The Security Account Manager (SAM) is a database present on servers which stores user accounts and security descriptors for local users on that particular computer/server. The maximum concurrent sessions that windows Server 2008 R2 can support (I THINK) is 16777216. So as this number, I think the maximum local users relates to this number. Please feel free to let us know if you have any question or concern. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
April 6th, 2012 1:36pm

Hi; The Security Account Manager (SAM) is a database present on servers which stores user accounts and security descriptors for local users on that particular computer/server. The maximum concurrent sessions that windows Server 2008 R2 can support (I THINK) is 16777216. So as this number, I think the maximum local users relates to this number. Please feel free to let us know if you have any question or concern. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
April 6th, 2012 1:36pm

Hello, there are already lot of detailed infos about theoretical limits. How many do you need in total and do you run into a limit, have an error message about? Concurrent connections on the server are limited to licensing first, 2 remote for administrative access and one on the console. FOr more then this or normal users access this machine as a RD server you must have RD CALs and a RDLicensing server. Based on the software they should use on the amchine and the hardware specifications there should be around 40 users be able to work together on one server. We have a virtual RD server farm where we count up to 30 users per RD Server, with an earlier farm on physical machines we copunted up to 40 users per TS.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
April 7th, 2012 7:39am

hello, no i just ask it for vpn authenticatiod d iis too. thanks.
April 7th, 2012 7:46am

Hello, there are already lot of detailed infos about theoretical limits. How many do you need in total and do you run into a limit, have an error message about? Concurrent connections on the server are limited to licensing first, 2 remote for administrative access and one on the console. FOr more then this or normal users access this machine as a RD server you must have RD CALs and a RDLicensing server. Based on the software they should use on the amchine and the hardware specifications there should be around 40 users be able to work together on one server. We have a virtual RD server farm where we count up to 30 users per RD Server, with an earlier farm on physical machines we copunted up to 40 users per TS.Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
April 7th, 2012 2:29pm

Hi, I understand that you asked the question for VPN authentication. Please check the article below to see whether it can help in your situation. Enabling remote client access over a VPN connection http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc995159.aspx In the meantime, I suggest creating thread in IIS forum if you have any question regarding IIS. http://forums.iis.net/ Regards KevinTechNet Community Support
April 9th, 2012 3:16am

Hi, I understand that you asked the question for VPN authentication. Please check the article below to see whether it can help in your situation. Enabling remote client access over a VPN connection http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc995159.aspx In the meantime, I suggest creating thread in IIS forum if you have any question regarding IIS. http://forums.iis.net/ Regards KevinTechNet Community Support
April 9th, 2012 10:06am

Hi, As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as Answered as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish. BTW, wed love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts. Best Regards KevinTechNet Community Support
April 12th, 2012 4:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics