windows 2008 installation drive question
I am trying to install the windows 2008 x86 standard on a server. I partitioned a single disk into two partitions. Partion 0 is 500MB and Partition 1 is 30GB. I want to install windows 2008 files (i.e. :\windows folder) in Partition 1. This works fine.Partition 1 becomes the C:\ drive and Partition 0 becomes D:\ drive. I like to keep the partition 0 as the C:\ drive and Partition 1 as the D:\ drive.How can I do this? No matter what I do, windows 2008 always claims the C:\. I need to be able to change the C:\ drive letter to something else if I wan to. I can do this in Windows 2003 and below fine.Thanks
March 4th, 2008 12:13am

Hi, I think it's expected behavior. It would affect the running of some system application if we could change the drive letter of system volume. I also tested this in Window Server 2008 and 2003. I got the same message saying "Windows cannot modify the driver letter of your system volume or boot volume". Therefore, I would like to suggest that you do not change the system volume drive letter. Best wishes --------------Morgan Che Microsoft Online Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 4th, 2008 2:05pm

I wish I can leave it as it is. But we need to do this for an application.For windows 2000 server and Windows 2003 server, we use the setup to partition the disk into partition 0 and partition 1. We install the windows (i.e. \Windows folder) in partition 1. After the install and when we boot into windows, we see C:\ and D:\ drives. Boot files are in D:\ drive and System files are in C:\. We then go to "HKLM\System\MountedDevices\DosDevices\C:" and rename the \DosDevices\C: key to \DosDevices\Z: Now we have Z:\ partition (partition 0) and D:\ partition (partition 1). We never had a single problem with this setup. Until we redo the app, we need to be able to change the drive letter in windows 2008 server. I am sure there may be way for this. I understand the recommended the way is not to change the drive letter at all.I would appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction.Thanks
March 4th, 2008 5:30pm

Hello, I'm not sure of the answer here, I would suggest opening an email case with Microsoft Product Support at support.micrsofot.com. Thanks!
March 6th, 2008 5:13am

I'm in the same position - did you ever figure out a way to change the system drive letter to something other than C:?
March 19th, 2008 10:40pm

I'm in the same position - did you ever figure out a way to change the system drive letter to something other than C:? Hi Anyone has an answer i have the same situation? Thanks,
February 17th, 2010 1:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics