windows 2008 hard drive compatibility
It looks like I have to rebuild my Windows 2008 server and I want to add a pair of internal hard drives to move all database operations off the OS drive. I checked with Seagate and Western Digital to verify that the 1TB SATA 3GB/sec or 6GB/sec drives were compatible. I was not aware that there are any issues as long as the drive is smaller than 3GB. Seagate told me that their drive has a 512 bypes per physical head and that 4K is required for full compatibility with windows 2008 backup services. After scouring several vendor drives and websites it appears that the physical heads are no longer included in the specifications. Is there a set of hard drive compatibility specifications for hard drives to work with Windows 2008 r1 SP2? Thanks!
May 21st, 2012 5:21pm

This one may help. http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2011/04/26/using-4k-sector-and-advanced-format-drives-in-windows-hotfix-and-support-info-for-windows-server-2008-r2-and-windows-7.aspx Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2012 6:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics