windows 2008 (Standard) x64 services not starting after restart
Shut down my Windows 2008 (Standard) x64 server to make a copy of it (it is a VM). On restarting the server most of the services did not restart including the event viewer and all of exchange services. I did lots of looking for answers around the internet. Eventually my colleague found this http://www.winvistatips.com/server-2008-event-log-service-stuck-starting-t577859.html A bit strange to see that having non US Regional settings would have such a devastating effect after just doing some microsoft updates. I was hoping that after following the instructions in the link I would not have any more problems but today I shut down again made a copy and on restarting the server I had the same problem again. Plus I'm trying to get Exchange SErver 2007 SP3 installed which was why I was making the copy to start with.
November 21st, 2010 12:36pm

Hello, you talk about the original VM after the copy that starts without some services? Or do you mean starting the copy and the original is running also? If the 1st option this shouldn't have anything to do with the copy. Please check the event viewer for errors and post them complete. Also describe which services are not starting.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 21st, 2010 5:31pm

Hi, As “Meinolf Weber” required, please let us know the issue occurs on the original copy or the new copy? Please also perform a test to shut down the original VM and start it again to check if the issue reoccurs? If this issue occurs on the original copy, I would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot to check if there is any third party software conflicts. For the detailed steps of how to perform a Clean Boot environment, please refer to the following steps: 1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. 2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Continue. 3. On the General tab, click Selective startup. 4. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load startup items check box. 5. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all. 6. Click OK, and then click Restart. What is the result in Clean Boot? Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 22nd, 2010 3:26am

I know what the problem is. It is not related to making a copy or to a virus or to an update. Recently there were complaints at my site that some users were getting US settings. I thought that my colleagues had set this in Default Domain Policy when they were setting the server up originally ( I wasn't there at the time). Certainly machines were getting the right keyboard set from the policy but the regional settings were not being set. When I looked at the Default Domain Policy I found that these settings had been added but never activated. I decided to create another GPO linked only to my Desktop and laptop OUs and activated the settings there. My mistake was then to go back to the Default Domain Policy and activate the regional settings. The problem is that Location is greyed out and shows as US although the all the DCs regional settings are set as UK. (Maybe they once weren't?) I believe that things were ok on the servers with the Default Domain Policy regional settings activated until we got to day 13 of the month. When the servers were restarted after this date and the policy applied everything went wrong presumably because part of server was interpreting the 13 as invalid as a month. This happened to all my windows 2008 servers. One of my problems at this site is that when the DC was created my colleagues added a number of settings to the Default Domain Policy instead of creating separate GPOs and they didn't make a backup of the default domain policy before doing this. I would like to go back to a "clean" Default Domain Policy. Is this possible? Can I create one on a test domain and import it or something like that.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 30th, 2010 3:06am

Hi, To restore the contents of the Default Domain Policy GPO, you may run the following command: dcgpofix /target:Domain For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet article: Default Group Policy objects become corrupted: disaster recovery http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739095(WS.10).aspx Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 1st, 2010 9:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics