windows 2003 as a router
hi all i am using windows 2003 as a a router between my private network and my isp but doesn't work i point every client in my private network to windows 2003 router via dhcp in a domain router it self has two interface one connected directly to my private network and other interface connected to my isp both interfaces use static addressing from my private network i can ping the router and i use static routing from outside my private network i can ping other interface i MEAN THE PROBLEM IS IN THE ROUTER what steps should i take to correct this problem
January 31st, 2010 12:43pm

You will need to enable NAT services on this router. The rest of the internet does not know about your internal network especially if you are using a private IP range (10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x, 192.168.x.x). Therefore your only option is to enable NAT on the router so that every outbound packet appears to be originating from the 2003 Server's public interface. You dont need to create static routes from outside your network. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 31st, 2010 9:19pm

Hello, Thank you for your post here. Yes, in the scenarios that you have the private network it is not necessary to use static routing. You can achieve the goal by install RRAS and enable the NAT to provide internet access for internal users. If the issue persists, please provide the IPconfig /all from the client and Windows Server 2003 server. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know.
February 1st, 2010 8:59am

You will need to enable NAT services on this router. The rest of the internet does not know about your internal network especially if you are using a private IP range (10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x, 192.168.x.x). Therefore your only option is to enable NAT on the router so that every outbound packet appears to be originating from the 2003 Server's public interface. You dont need to create static routes from outside your network. http://jorgemederos.wordpress.com/ thanks alot i appreciatethanks for your help
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2010 12:20pm

Hello, Thank you for your post here. Yes, in the scenarios that you have the private network it is not necessary to use static routing. You can achieve the goal by install RRAS and enable the NAT to provide internet access for internal users. If the issue persists, please provide the IPconfig /all from the client and Windows Server 2003 server. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know. i dont know how to thank you you are rightbut iam new in networking thank you very very much
February 1st, 2010 12:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics