window 2008 unable to window update
I have one server with window 2008 standard service pack 2 with genuine license key already activiated. When i update the window, i got almost 27 patches update unable to install. It give me all this error code 80072EFE. I have try to manual update some of the patches but all failed. I list out some of the 27 patches: Security update for window server 2008 (KB973565, KB974318, KB956744,KB960859.....) AV and firewall alrady being disable. I have been trying to solve this issue but up to no avail.
March 30th, 2010 1:02pm

Hi, 1. Check windows update settings are properly configured on server. 2. If it is pointed to any WSUS server, I suggest to go for WSUS SP2. Server should appear on WSUS console. 3. If it is configured to take updates from Windows Update site, make sure patches are getting downloaded from site. 4. Make sure windows update agent is properly running on server. Reinstall Windows Update agent if required. The latest version of windows update agent can be downloaded from Microsoft Website. 5. Stop Windows Update service on server and delete following file. %Windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb start 'Windows Update' service 6. try folllowing commands & run 'wuauclt /detectnow' regsvr32 /s wuapi.dllregsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dllregsvr32 /s wuaueng.dllregsvr32 /s wucltui.dllregsvr32 /s wups2.dllregsvr32 /s wups.dllregsvr32 /s wuweb.dll Regards.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 30th, 2010 2:46pm

Hi From what I know, if I delete this file %Windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb, all my successful update history will be gone. That mean I need to window update again from scratch right. All my window update settings are properly set right on the server. The main issue is I able to update other patches except the 27 patches which keep me this error code 80072EFE.
March 30th, 2010 7:53pm

Hi, %Windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb is windows update database. Even if you delete it ( or rename it if you dont want to delete ) , it will get regenerated. It doesnt mean you need to update windows from scratch. Patches installed on machine till now will remain as it is.Only missing patches will be detected, downloaded and installed on machine. Error may occur due to corruption of %Windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb. So you can let the system create a new %Windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb. In addition to steps mentioned above make sure you have enough free space on drive. Regards...
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 31st, 2010 1:16pm

Hi, Please also refer to the following article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941/en-us Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
April 1st, 2010 8:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics