win2k8r2 -- windows cannot find folder
From a Win2k3 machine, I'm trying to access a folder on a virgin Win2k8r2 machine. The machines are in a VPN. In the address bar of my Win2k3 machine, I type \\myWin2k8machineName\myFolderName. I get prompted twice for my user name and password. The system flashes an error saying Windows cannot find '\\myWin2k8machineName\myFolderName'. Check the spelling, etc. etc. Unfortunately, I know d*ck all about Win2k8r2. Can anybody shed light on my problem? Thank you.
November 24th, 2010 2:08pm

Hi, Firstly, ensure that you type the correct folder name that exists on Windows Server 2008 R2. Then, please try to access the folder via the FQDN name: \\domain.server\myFolderName If you can’t access the folder via the FQDN name, try via IPAddress: \\IPAddress\myFolderName See how it works. Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 25th, 2010 12:37am

re: Dale Qiao >> See how it works. Neither technique works. On my Win2k3 machine, I see the Win2k8r2 machine in My Network Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Network. From my Win2k3 machine, I can view the non-public website that runs on the Win2k8r2 machine. I've given maximum permissions to Everyone to myFolderName on the Win2k8r2 machine.
November 25th, 2010 10:34am

Hi, Let’s turn off Windows Firewall and temporarily disable security software, then try to ping the Windows Server 2008 R2 from Windows Server 2003. Firstly, ping the IP address. If you can ping the IP address without problems, please configure network card to enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP, ping the Computer Name. Meanwhile, configure the VPN setting to uncheck the option “use default gateway on remote desktop”. If the issue persists, please run the command: IPCONFIG /ALL to display the network configuration, run the command: Net share to display the shared folder. Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 25th, 2010 10:05pm

Any update? Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 29th, 2010 8:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics