where is the lost space on my serveur
hello i have a 2008 server where i store all the data of my clients It hadd a disk of 587 Gb When i add each folder except System Volume Information i have 256 G of data so for me it will rest 587-256=330 G or i see only 140 G ... help where is my free lost space and how to get it I have use the cleanup utility but it found nothing to delete I made a new test to verify an idea, i have run the defrag last hour and i stop it few minutes ago and i lost one more G ... is there a possible link between ? thanks a lot
February 4th, 2012 1:45pm

check if you have volume shadow copy enabled for the drive (think its previous version on the properties). you can also check what your pagefile is taking up, if its windows handled it can grow (system properties, advanced, performance settings, advanced, virtual memory), the file is hidden, so you might have missed it. else take a tool like windirstats to see where exactly the space is used (search for it, not build in)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 4th, 2012 3:38pm

thanks i look but i have no shadows copie enable the page file is ok i use windirstats (thanks good tool), it give the same result a mine it is weard
February 4th, 2012 5:47pm

Hi, Please run the command, diskmgmt.msc to launch Disk Management to check if you have any unallocated space? If not, please also boot your computer into Safe Mode to check the result. In Safe Mode, you may also run the command, chkdsk /f /r to check the hard disk. What’s the result? Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here . Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
February 4th, 2012 9:50pm

Hello in the diskmgmt.msc there no unallocated space i havn't precise but it is a virtual machine and the 2 disk (system & datas) are store on a lun Can you explain to me why the chkdsk /f /r command while improve ? i ask because it is difficult to move the server in safe mode, whe are in plain production thanks
February 5th, 2012 1:39am

i run the chkdsk but it is the same any idea ?
February 5th, 2012 3:01am

Hi, Do you mean the problematic server is a virtual machine? Would you please collect System Information and upload it to me here for our further research? System Information ======================== 1. Click “Start”, type in “msinfo32” (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and then press Enter. 2. Choose “Save” from the File menu and save it as an NFO file. 3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder". 4. Send the compressed file to me. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here .Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
February 5th, 2012 3:43am

hello how can i send you the mail ?
February 11th, 2012 9:56am

ok i send it by mail nicolas
February 11th, 2012 11:26am

Hi, Please click here to send me the System Information. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
February 11th, 2012 9:37pm

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here .Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
February 12th, 2012 1:19am

Hi, Thanks for sending me the System Information, but I cannot quite understand the language displayed in the System Information. Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot, since you cannot boot into Safe Mode. If would be great, if you can boot into Safe Mode temporarily for test purpose. How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 What are the result in Clean Boot and Safe Mode? If the issue persists, it is recommended to submit a new question to the local language forum and VMware forum for further assistance. Regards, Arthur Li TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
February 14th, 2012 10:33pm

HEey i have solve my pb i use d a soft who tell me the size by folder the pb was in the system information folder i activate shadows copie, and modify the values at 300mb and desactivate and it was ok
March 10th, 2012 10:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics