wbemtest access is denied
I am trying to use wbemtest and connect to a remote server in my domain. It works fine if I use domain credentials, but if I try to use a local account, including the local built-in administrator account, it gives me the error 0x80070005 Access is denied. I have verified that I can log in with the local account credentials and that they have admin rights on the machine and belong to the same groups as the domain account that works. What is the proper way to use local credentials with wbemtest, or what permissions are required on the remote server for local credentials to work?
September 20th, 2011 3:59pm

Hi, The error 0x80070005” Access is denied” can be solved in the following ways: · (WMI) 0x80070005 - Access Denied - Corrupted Profile Please create a new local profile. · Win32_Process, 0x80070005 - Access is denied *or* WMI ENUMERATION operation errors reported 1. Open REGEDIT and backup this branch: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole] 2. Open DCOMCNFG 3. Right click on "My Computer" and go to "Properties" 4. On the COM Security tab, click on "Edit Default" for the Access Permissions 4a. We MUST have "SELF" and "SYSTEM". If either of these is missing, we must recreate these accounts. 4b. Note any and all accounts listed in this section. 4c. Close DCOMCNFG 4d. In REGEDIT, under the key in STEP # 1, remove the "DefaultAccessPermissions" key. 4e. Close REGEDIT 4f. In DCOMCNFG, add the accounts that you found in STEP 4b. 5. Compare Launch and Activation Permissions to your working computer on the "Edit Defaults" button. 5a. Administrators, INTERACTIVE and SYSTEM are required. Others are optional. 6. Click "OK" until all dialogs are closed. Close DCOMCNFG. 7. Reboot the machine and test. 8. If the problem persists and you still get the WMIDIAG errors, go to the registry entry in STEP #1 9. Backup the registry key again for good measure. 10. Delete these two entries: MachineAccessRestriction and MachineLaunchRestriction 11. Close REGEDIT and reboot the computer. These entries will be recreated as needed. Hope it helps! Regards, Jane
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 21st, 2011 10:40pm

Hi, The problem here is that these accounts are local account. The authentication scope is local computer only. In domain environment, we should use domain account instead of local account to access remote resources. May I know why you need to use local account to run wbemtest and connect to a remote server? If you really need to use local account to access WMI store on a remote server, you may refer to the following blogs to configure WMI and DCOM security settings on client and remote server. Although the following blogs were written for Hyper-V remote management, the steps that configure WMI and DCOM security settings will help here. Please skip the steps that configure Hyper-V and Authorization Manager. http://blogs.technet.com/b/jhoward/archive/2008/03/28/part-1-hyper-v-remote-management-you-do-not-have-the-requested-permission-to-complete-this-task-contact-the-administrator-of-the-authorization-policy-for-the-computer-computername.aspx http://blogs.technet.com/b/jhoward/archive/2008/03/28/part-2-hyper-v-remote-management-you-do-not-have-the-requested-permission-to-complete-this-task-contact-the-administrator-of-the-authorization-policy-for-the-computer-computername.aspx
September 22nd, 2011 5:38am

Hi, Do you have any updates? If anything is unclear, please feel free to let us know.Laura Zhang - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 28th, 2011 9:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics