wbadmin - System State backups fail
Windows Server 2008 x64 with Exchange 2007 installed. NOT a DC.Have Symantec BackupExec 12 which fails on System State. They say a Microsoft issue as WBADMIN command line tool will not backup system state either.Below is what is returned. Cannot find any other instance of this issue. The log files referred to are empty.Has anyone any ideas????C:\Users\administrator.FMR>wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:e:wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool(C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.Starting System State Backup [21/08/2008 9:47 a.m.]Retrieving volume information...This would backup the system state from volume(s) System(C:) to e:.Do you want to start the backup operation?[Y] Yes [N] No yCreating the shadow copy of volumes requested for backup.Creating the shadow copy of volumes requested for backup.Identifying system state files to backup (This may take a few minutes)...Found (393) filesFound (1028) filesFound (1726) filesFound (2601) filesFound (3763) filesFound (5199) filesFound (7106) filesFound (9105) filesFound (10608) filesFound (12510) filesSummary of backup:------------------Backup of system state failed [21/08/2008 9:49 a.m.]Log of files successfully backed up'C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\SystemStateBackup 21-08-2008 09-47-27.log'Log of files for which backup failed'C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\SystemStateBackup_Error 21-08-2008 09-47-27.log'Enumeration of the files failed.The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
September 1st, 2008 5:15am

Hello, May I know if you are running any anti-virus or third-party tools on the system? We have seen this issue when the Trend Micro is installed on the system. If this is the case, you may need to uninstall the Trend Micro and contact Trend Micro to see if they have any updates on this. The background is that: Backup utilizes the VSS to take the snapshot of the volume and then pulls off the data from the snapshot. If the snapshot contains any invalid path (directory or file), the VSS will fail. Take the Trend Micro as an example. You may find a directory named "\Program Files(x86)\trend micro\client server security agent\..\", here the "\..\" is not supported and will cause the VSS query process fail. So please also check this information if you have installed any other third-party tools or applications. We have also seen this error happened, if some Intel applications are installed and that may create a directory "\\" like the path "Program Files (x86)\\Intel". This path "\\" is also not supported here. Besides, you can try running the chkdsk to see if any disk error exists as this may also cause some potential problems. Best regards,Chang Yin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2008 3:04pm

Yes, we do happen to be running Trend Micro Antivirus. Thanks for the other info, I'll do some more testing and report back.Jo
September 10th, 2008 7:38am

OK - have been in contact with Trend, and turned off all scanning and ran the backup. Same error.I could not find any directories with incorrect syntax as you describe above.I notice that this server is using very high memory for Exchange. I have read that this is by design, and results in better performance for users. I'm wondering if this could have something to do with the problem. I know OWA will stop working compaining about "unable to create a thread" which is fixed for a time after reboot. And when running consoles onthe Exchange server, it's a little more sluggish than I would expect.I'm sure I have seen posted somewhere a way to limit the memory usage, I may try to look at this side and see if it helps.Any other suggestions? I would love to get the systemstate backups resolved because I have no "good" backup till it is.cheersJo
September 12th, 2008 1:56am

Hello, If possible, would you please try fully uninstalling Trend Micro applications and restarting the server to see whether the problem remains? This may help us to narrow down the root cause. I am sorry to say that I have little knowledge on Trend Microapplications or the Exchange Server. However, based on my research, most of these problems seem related to Trend Micro. Thank you for your cooperation.Regards, Chang Yin
September 15th, 2008 1:41pm

Hello, Unfortenately I have the same errors. Windows 2008 x32 / Domain ControllerNo trend micro products, no additional software except Mcafee Virusscan Enterprise 8.5.0iLogs are empty except the Eventid 517 Source BackupEnumeration of the files failed...Nothing to find so far on the web, chkdsk OKsame happens for the other DC...any more suggestions? thx G Update:uninstalling Mcafee gives the same resultsAll security patches for W2K8 are installed GuidoB
September 15th, 2008 5:09pm

Same problem here:Backup of system state failed [12/29/2008 01:24]...Enumeration of the files failed.The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.I hope they don't drop the ball on this--where's the solution?!Also, why aren't we allowed to backup to a network share?!Dave
December 29th, 2008 12:37pm

Hello i am facing the same issue on a windows server 2008does any one have a resolution
February 5th, 2009 1:02am

Add another user to the list of folks having this issue. I've never installed trend micro, chkdsk returns no errors. Roger
February 17th, 2009 12:07am

I have two DC's. Both Windows 2008 ServerNot quite identical but almost.Backing up the systemstate on one of them is succesfull; on the other DC is failes with the note:"enumeration of the files failed"I 'm looking for the differences
March 2nd, 2009 6:12pm

I am having the exact same problem. Win2k8 x32 DC, backing up System State fails in both Windows Backup and Backup Exec 12.5. Symantec is looking into it on their side. I've heard sometimes the problem is caused by Trend Micro antivirus products being installed, but we have Kaspersky installed. Also, it fails with no AV software present. In backup exec, the error shows up as Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed(Server: "FILE-SERVER") (Job: "Test System State") Test System State -- The job failed with the following error: A failure occurred accessing the object list.When doing a commandline backup of the system state, this is what you see: C:\Windows\System32>wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backupTarget:E:wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool(C) Copyright 2004 Microsoft Corp.Starting System State Backup [3/2/2009 1:51 PM]Retrieving volume information...This would backup the system state from volume(s) Local Disk(C:) to E:.Do you want to start the backup operation?[Y] Yes [N] No YCreating the shadow copy of volumes requested for backup.Creating the shadow copy of volumes requested for backup.Creating the shadow copy of volumes requested for backup.Creating the shadow copy of volumes requested for backup.Creating the shadow copy of volumes requested for backup.Creating the shadow copy of volumes requested for backup.Creating the shadow copy of volumes requested for backup.Identifying system state files to backup (This may take a few minutes)...Found (704) filesFound (1727) filesSummary of backup:------------------Backup of system state failed [3/2/2009 1:53 PM]Log of files successfully backed up'C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\SystemStateBackup 02-03-2009 13-51-52.log'Log of files for which backup failed'C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\SystemStateBackup_Error 02-03-2009 13-51-52.log'Enumeration of the files failed.The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.Note that both log files are completely empty. Nothing is contained within them at all.
March 2nd, 2009 9:57pm

Hans van Dijk & Tharkis,I wonder if we can find similarites in our environment. I'm running as virtual images under VMWare ESXi. Everything else is Microsoft software (i.e. no 3rd Party).Roger
March 2nd, 2009 10:29pm

Roger,Well this has a lot of MS software on it, but the only third party apps are Kaspersky Admin Kit, Kaspersky AV 6.0 Server Enterprise, WatchGuard System Manager 10.2 and Backup Exec 12.5
March 2nd, 2009 10:51pm

Anyone come up with an answer to this one? I've uninstalled just about every piece of software and I still have the problem.
March 10th, 2009 7:49pm

No solution here, it's still an open item for us. Microsoft? Microsoft? Microsoft?
March 10th, 2009 9:37pm

I noticed this when trying to run System State backup using CSDMP 2007 against a Windows 2008 domain controller. Running WBADMIN command locally gives me the same error folks are listing here. Dont know if its related but see Event ID 300 (lsass (552) The database engine is initiating recovery steps), 301 (lsass (552) The database engine has begun replaying logfile \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy7\Windows\NTDS\edb.log. ), and 302 (lsass (552) The database engine has successfully completed recovery steps.) right before Event ID 517 every time I initiate the command.
April 11th, 2009 12:11am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics