vpn with 2 servers on 1 modem/router
hi all. i have 2 servers, which have both 2 NIC's, 1 for the ADSL connection to the modem, and one for the LAN network. So the modem / router has 2 incoming connections, it provides internet for 2 networks. Each server has its own ip (192.168.1.65 and 192.168.1.66) in the modem. But how to set up vpn now for both servers? Because they share the same internet, both have the same outside ip (checked with www.whatismyip.org), so if i set the PPTP port open for both ip's, how to set up the VPN on the client to let it know that it should login in server1 or server2?
August 3rd, 2010 3:10pm

Hi, Without a second public IP, I don't think that this will be possible. If you use both of them to perform authentication for all incoming users, then you can probably use NLB, http://blogs.technet.com/b/rrasblog/archive/2009/07/02/configuring-network-load-balancing-nlb-cluster-of-vpn-servers.aspx -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 3rd, 2010 5:07pm

If you are trying to provide an HA or Fail-over solution for VPN services, then do check out Mike's link. However, If this is something like you have one internet shared by two companies, I don't think you are going to be successful in designing something by using 1 public IP address. If your modem supports multiple public IPs, you best bet is to contact the ISP and have two IPs assigned. You can then do port forwarding based on the public IP address. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
August 3rd, 2010 5:49pm

thank you for your answer.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 3rd, 2010 6:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics