virtual lab server not connected to internet??
Im trying to run Getting to Know windows server 2012 r2 virtual lab but of the 3 servers, one isn't connected to corpnet at all, and it has a 169.254 ip.   I dont know how to fix it.  When I look at internet connections available, all it shows is limited access.  I can't use Hyper-V Manager to connect to the server in order to do the lab.  Any ideas?
August 21st, 2015 12:51pm

It is link local IP address. It happens when your NIC has option to get IP automatically from DCHP and can't get it. Check network settings on your server. Make sure that DHCP server is available on that network interface. If you don't use DHCP set correct static IP address/DNS/Gateway settings.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 1:24pm

Btw the lab has 5 virtual pc's.  It's DC, Admin, Server1, Server2, and Server3.  The DHCP service is running on the server pc.  I tried restarting it but nothing happened.  When I checked the internet adapters, it showed they were setup to Obtain IP Address Automatically.    Not sure what to do exactly. 
August 21st, 2015 3:38pm

Is the DHCP server reachable from the PC that is not getting an address?  Might have to manually assign an IP address and then issue the ping.

Does the DHCP server have any addresses left to give out?

Are the virtual networks for all PCs configured to the same virtual switch?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 4:55pm

Btw I'm using the Lab on technet through the web client.  I'm not running any virtual machines myself or anything.  That's what's so frustrating, instead of learning the lab, I'm trying to work out bugs in the lab :(. 

Honestly I don't know how to tell if the dhcp server is reachable or not.  I'm really new to windows server and this is supposed to be an introduction Lab.  Main problem is that other server's are connected to corpnet, and this one isn't.   Double clicking on corpnet or running diagnostic doesn't help.  I'm really stumped here. 

August 21st, 2015 5:05pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics