verify smart card was used for authentication?
We have a domain where both uid/password and smartcard/PIN authentication are allowed for a large set of user objects. Does anyone know a way to distinguish which was in fact used for a particular user session -- i.e., whether the end user entered a password or used a sc? Any chance of a flag in the TGT or something like that? I had heard that while this couldn't be done in the 2003/XP space, it might be feasible in the newer systems. I'm asking because in terms of granting SSO access, it would be very useful if an application's front end could distinguish that a smart card was used for domain auth and immediately grant access without a credentials prompt from the app's local authentication engine. i.e., stronger credentials deserve greater trust across the enterprise. Right now the accounts can't be locked to require smart card access because of the many things they touch across the company. This is an enterprise PKI, with Win2003 CAs moving to W2K8R2, clients are XP machines moving to Win-7, DCs are currently still 2003. Thanks for any ideas.
April 26th, 2010 10:52pm

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversecurity/thread/84e2766f-ab61-468e-a384-2cd7970ade17/#4bfd7f03-8bb1-4373-a5d9-1bc2d8116158Paul Adare CTO IdentIT Inc. ILM MVP
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 26th, 2010 10:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics