upgrading to 2008 domain-AD, any issues to be aware of? add 2008 box and upgrade domain from there?
I'm about to do an upgrade to 2008 domain.. i realize some software is incompatible with 2008 server itself.. but.. is there any reason to avoid the Active Directory portion of the upgrade.. ie: i'm thinking this should be fine..We run our DC's currently (2 of them, both print servers too), as virtual server 2005 virtual servers.. i was considering just upgrading these to 2008, since all they run are 2003 server core related things like dhcp and dns.. but they also have print servers.. i'm guessing the overall folder structure with 2008 differs from 2003.. so i'm guessing a clean install is desired, or maybe upgrade one of these, then install a brand new DC that is 2008 and dcpromo (demote) the upgraded DC later on? These print servers could be an issue, it sounds a little more involved to allow them to function in 2008.If i just install 2008 to a new virtual box, i can simply perform the upgrade to 2008 Active directory and 2008 DC from this new box without much fuss?Would it be bad to do the upgrade of the domain during regular hours.. ie: does it deactivate anything during the upgrade process.. i usually do things like this off hours but was curious on any thoughts?I'm assuming all the 2003 regular boxes, can still be part of the 2008 domain (or 2008 machines can be on the 2003 domain) without any changes for now.. it would just be 2008 mixed?**Short summary**:I'm guessing i can take the transition approach.. create a new 2008 box.. run the adprep upgrades .. then dcpromo the new 2008 box to a DC.. the old 2003 DCs could then be dcpromo'd to get them off the grid, but leaving the print functions on those boxes for now.. but i would guess that since they have dns and dhcp roles, i would have to install these first on the new DC 2008 box.. or migrate them over later on after/as the other two boxes are removed (any thoughts on this one in particular?).. I just want to make sure that existing 2003 non DC servers will still function after this is done or while it is going on..We have about 5 servers, 2 of them DCS (virtual), with 40 users or so in the infrastructure.Thanks in advance
July 30th, 2008 6:51pm

Hello, Q: I'm guessing a clean install is desired, or maybe upgrade one of these, then install a brand new DC that is 2008 and dcpromo (demote) the upgraded DC later on? A: Since there are printer servers on the DC, it is recommended that you first introduce a new Windows Server 2008 DC and then upgrade the existing Windows 2003 DC. It will cause less business impact. Q: If I just install 2008 to a new virtual box, I can simply perform the upgrade to 2008 Active directory and 2008 DC from this new box without much fuss? A: Yes. Q: Would it be bad to do the upgrade of the domain during regular hours.. ie: does it deactivate anything during the upgrade process.. I usually do things like this off hours but was curious on any thoughts? A: If you perform the in-place upgrade of the domain, it will cause the downtime of domain services during the upgrade process. In this way, it is better for us to perform the operation in the spare time. Q: I'm assuming all the 2003 regular boxes, can still be part of the 2008 domain (or 2008 machines can be on the 2003 domain) without any changes for now.. it would just be 2008 mixed? A: Yes. The Windows Server 2003 boxex can be member servers of the Windows Server 2008 domain and vice versa. Q: I'm assuming all the 2003 regular boxes, can still be part of the 2008 domain (or 2008 machines can be on the 2003 domain) without any changes for now.. it would just be 2008 mixed? A: Yes. Q: I just want to make sure that existing 2003 non DC servers will still function after this is done or while it is going on.. A: Please make sure the existing Windows Server 2003 non DC servers point to the new DNS server after you perform the upgrading. And the corresponding configuration in DHCP server should be adjust. In this way, I think the old member servers still function. Hope it helps.Your potential. Our passion.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 1st, 2008 12:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics