unwanted IP address appears in DNS
On our network, one of the domain controllers (with AD and DNS) is running Windows Server 2008 R2. It has 2 NICs. NIC #1 has IP address 192.168.1.46 and is connected to the main network for all to see. NIC #2 has IP address 192.168.2.46 and is connected to only a Network Attached Storage device. In the properties for NIC #2, I have unchecked "Register this connection's address in DNS". However, this computer appears twice in DNS - once for each IP address. As a result, computers are trying to contact this domain controller on the wrong IP address. If I delete the wrong IP address from DNS, it appears again after a few minutes. What can I do to permanently keep this second IP address out of DNS? By the way, this WS2008 machine recently replaced a WS2003 machine that was serving exactly the same role but the 2nd IP address was not appearing in DNS. So could this be a new bug in WS2008 where "Register this connection's address in DNS" is not working? Thanks in advance for your answers. Cam
December 5th, 2011 7:47pm

This one talks about multiple addresses on single adapter. My understanding is that skipassource flag is present in 2008 R2 SP1 so this may work for you. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2386184 Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 5th, 2011 8:08pm

Thanks, Dave. I was hoping that the skipassource flag would do it for us, but no. I deleted the IP address, made sure the entry was gone from both DNS servers, and issued the netsh command. The IP address appeared in the network interface. 10 minutes later, the DNS still contained only 1 entry. But when I checked back over an hour later, the second DNS entry was back again. I'd love to hear more ideas... Cam
December 6th, 2011 3:08am

So far its not working that way here with 2008 R2 servers. I brought a second NIC online on member server with an address of 192.168.5.5 and plugged into device and allowed register DNS, it shows up in DNS on both dcs. I uncheck "register connection ...." and delete host A records and it still isn't showing back up. Also make sure its unchecked on DNS tab of ipv6 properties if used. Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
December 6th, 2011 3:45am

Hi Cam, Please note that mutlihomed domain controllers are generally not recommended. It can cause all kinds of problems with DNS and other things. However, if you have to keep this, please refer to the following KB article and Ace’s blog for detailed steps to resolve this issue. Active Directory communication fails on multihomed domain controllers http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272294 Multihomed DCs with DNS, RRAS, and/or PPPoE adapters http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/03/multihomed-dcs-with-dns-rras-and-or-pppoe-adapters.aspx Hope the above information helps. Best Regards, Aiden
December 7th, 2011 4:26am

Dave - So if "Register this connection's address in DNS" is unchecked, the IP address should NOT appear in DNS? I confirmed that this setting is not checked, then deleted the DNS entries. 24 hours later (maybe much sooner) the DNS entry was back. Aiden - I am not very familiar with multihoming. As I understand, it is where there are multiple network paths to a destination. This is not the case. The domain has 2 domain controllers: DC1 has 1 NIC and 1 IP address. DC2 is the machine where I am having the problem. It has 2 NICs: NIC #1 has only 1 IP address and is used for communication to the network. NIC #2 has an IP address and is connected only to a NAS device. I hope that my clarification gives you more ideas. Cam
December 8th, 2011 6:30pm

Dave - So if "Register this connection's address in DNS" is unchecked, the IP address should NOT appear in DNS? I confirmed that this setting is not checked, then deleted the DNS entries. 24 hours later (maybe much sooner) the DNS entry was back. Yes, that's they way it's still working here as a test with 2008 R2 SP1 servers. (edit: my test is using a member server. This article may help your situation) The Host's "A" Record Is Registered in DNS After You Choose Not to Register the Connection's Address http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275554 Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
December 8th, 2011 10:38pm

Hi Cam, How are things going? I just want to check if the information provided by Dave Patrick was helpful. if you have any update or concern, please feel to let us know. Best Regards, Aiden
December 12th, 2011 3:44am

The Host's "A" Record Is Registered in DNS After You Choose Not to Register the Connection's Address http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275554 Yes, this gave me the fix. I needed to open the DNS control panel, open the properties for this DNS server, and unselect the IP addresses for the other NIC. Thanks for your help. Cam
December 13th, 2011 4:50pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics