unable to remove smtp domains in iis6
I have a windows 2003 server with sp2 which is also a domain controller. We’ve just removed exchange 2003 from this server as part of an orderly migration. There are exchange 2007 servers in the domain (active directory domain that is). We host email for a large number of domains (SMTP domains that is). Now the SMTP virtual server under IIS shows a large number of domains in the domain container. It correlates somewhat to our hosted domains but appears to be an out of date list. Each domain shows its type to be Local (Custom) except the default domain which is Local (Default). There is also one domain with a GUID as part of the name and that one is Local (Normal). No idea where that one came from. Anyway, the technet documentation for how to manage this SMTP server says you simply right click these domains in the mmc and choose delete. Unfortunately there is no delete option on the context menu when you right click in this circumstance. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/e2156172-7118-4ff2-9a6a-1b7dd52580fa.mspx?mfr=true This creates a concern because we imagine this current configuration might accept incoming mail and then fail to relay the mail properly because it thinks its authoritative for these domains and wants to drop the mail into a folder on its file system. We’d like to leave the SMTP service going on this machine so it can continue to act as a web server and send form submittals but as far as I know there’s really no other reason for SMTP on this server now. If we have to remove or disable the service I guess we can do that, but can someone tell us how to manage the domain list when right click and delete is not available? Thanks Bill
February 4th, 2010 7:29pm

Hi Bill, As this issue is related to IIS, I suggest discussing it in our IIS forum. They are the best resource to troubleshoot this issue. http://forums.iis.net/ Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 5th, 2010 5:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics