unable to create External Virtual Networks

hello, running server 2008 r2 hyper-v core build 6.1.7600 on HP ProLiant DL380 G6

I have 4 physical NICs and was trying to create 4 external virtual switches in Virtual Network Manager with or without the "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter" option, like I have already done on a couple of other hyper-v core. Get one of the following behaviors:

1. stuck in "Applying changes" or "cannot enumerate network adapters" forever. At which point either the NVSPWMI (hyper-v network management) service stops and i have to restart it, or restart the hyper-v box

2. or get "Error applying new virtual network changes. setup switch failed." NVSPWMI occasionally stops and have to restart the service.

3. or get "cannot bind to "hp nc328i.." because it is already bound to another virtual network". When i get this error i try to restart NVSPWMI, then use nvspbind /u option or /d vms_pp to unbind the vms_pp service at which point I go back to issue #1 and keep cycling through these issues regardless of which one of the 4 adapters i try to configure. Occasionally I can add a virtual switch without the "Allow management..." option and then check the option later, but its not consistent with the other adapters. At the very most I can have one External virtual adapter.

Tried the following:

a. netcfg -u vms_pp ; netcfg -c p -i vms_pp; to remove all Virtual Adapters and reconfigure.

b. removed the Physical adapters and reinstalled using devcon.exe. and updated drivers from version 5... to 7... something.

c. removed all virtual adapters running regedit as system user using PsExec.exe utility. I also mistakenly removed the Microsoft Virtual Switch Adapter, and then reimported the regedit key once I realized I did that. However the netcfg -c p -i vms_pp should take care of that.

d. nvspbind utility with either /u /b /e /d options for the respective adapter.

Spent about 10 hours trying every possible scenario to have at least 3 much needed virtual adapters running for this production box, have one slave DC and DFS on this hyperv. I have till Tuesday to get it to work, and only left option for me at this point is to rebuild the entire server. I heard that removing and reinstalling the HyperV core service does not always fix the issue, because you are supposed to install these adapters in a certain order.

Anyone have any other suggestion for me to try? Probably going to rebuild this Sunday 1/19 or Monday 1/20.

Thank you.

January 18th, 2014 10:42pm

For sure: You must be physically plugged into your network when setting up virtual networking.....

M.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 19th, 2014 12:11am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics