unable to RDP after RDS installation
Hello Forum, need some help here. I installed Remote Desktop Service (RDS) on a server 2012 box. It is a single server which has all the roles on it. What happens is that after I install RDS, none of the users are able to RDP to the server. If uninstall the RDS role then we can RDP successfully. I have tried both standard and quick install and the result is same, after installing RDS, none of the domain users who were able to RDP before cannot make a connection. However, if I use the /admin switch, then I can RDP to the server, even after RDS is installed. I haven't configured any licensing server at the moment but that shouldn't stop users from making RDP sessions. Where am I going wrong? The server does not have any other role on it. Please help. Is it a certificate issue?
  • Edited by strike3test Thursday, April 30, 2015 10:54 AM EDIT
April 30th, 2015 10:41am

Hi,

Please ensure that the Windows Server 2012 is fully patched, and the server is not a DC, since it was not supported to combine Remote Desktop Services role services and Active Directory Domain Services role on Windows Server 2012 RTM.

Remote Desktop Services role cannot co-exist with AD DS role on Windows Server 2012

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2799605

It is a single server which has all the roles on it.

Did you also installed RD Gateway and RD connection broker on it?

If yes, firewall ports such as TCP 443, 3389 need to be open. You may temporarily disable firewall to test.

Here is an article describes specific firewall port requirements for each RDS role:

Which ports are used by a RDS 2012 deployment?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16164.which-ports-are-used-by-a-rds-2012-deployment.aspx

Best Regards,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 1st, 2015 7:42am

Thanks Amy,

It is a single server which has all the roles on it.

Meaning all the RDS roles not infrastructure like AD DS etc. The server is configured with RDCB, RDSH and RDWA roles. I can connect using /admin switch but what I would like to know is that do I have to include a RDS licensing server for getting only one user connected to it? In older versions of terminal services, I could have 2 users and an admin session (2+1) equaling to 3 sessions. Has that changed in RDS 2012? 

May 10th, 2015 6:31pm

Hi,

Under the license agreement you are allowed to have up to 2 concurrent connections for administrative purposes only without needing licenses.

If you intend to have users log on and run applications using Remote Desktop and/or use RDS functionality then you need to have a purchased RDS CAL for each unique human or device that will connect, your choice.  In this case you need to install RD Licensing and then use RD Licensing Manager to Activate it as well as install your RDS CALs.  In Server Manager -- RDS -- Overview -- Deployment Overview -- Tasks -- Edit Deployment Properties -- RD Licensing tab, please make sure the licensing mode is set correctly and your licensing server name is specified.

As to your other question, starting with Server 2008 you may only have 2 Active administrative sessions, including the console and any remote sessions.

Thanks.

-TP

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 10th, 2015 6:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics