udp connection on idle computer
Hi, I run an udp web-based application on windows server 2008 and I am having trouble when my computer is "idle" (for like 30 minutes.. I disabled the screensaver, still has the issue). Basically sometimes this application crashes and it is auto rebooted. However if the server reboots when my computer is idle, i can't reconnect to the application. It works if it was started before the computer was idle.. I can freely connect and disconnect... But if the app reboots and my computer is idle i cant connect. Once i "wake" it i can connect though... The computer is not asleep, it has just not been used for 20 or 30 minutes. why does this happen?
January 13th, 2010 6:04pm

Hi crasx,you need to handle this specifically on your application.for TCP protocol there is a api called tcpkeepalive which will send heartbeat packets when the connection is idle, i would suggest to implement the similar concept.why would your application crashes if it is idle ? , If it is a custom app which you have built you need to debug to understand the code , if its a 3rd party vendor app , then you need to contact him to let him know the behavior AFAIK there are UDP keep alive packets , but it depends how you are managing the socket connection
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 16th, 2010 6:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics