tried to add 2012AD to 2008R2 AD, got error Unnamed VM could not initialize (0x80070005).

Had a SAS controller failure on a Dell R710, that house Exchange 2010, so was trying to stand up Exchange 2013 in coexistence mode, as I got Exchange 201 VM back up. On another R710, I had the DC 2009 R2 on a VM, so on a 3rd R710, I started a 2012R2 AD and joined to domain so I could use the second R710 as a host for 1st that failed to export VMs and save them.

The DNS for whole network went down and I discovered the DC on the second R710 had stopped, Tried to start it, but got failure to initialize 0x80070005. I noticed that the avhd file no longer exists.

January 23rd, 2015 1:55am

Sheesh.. sounds you got a bit of a mess there Dan.

Trying to sort out what you got:

• Dell#1: failed SAS controller, Hyper-V host (what version?), number of VMs (how many, roles?), Exchange 2010 VM
  • Dell#2: Hyper-V host (what version?), number of VMs (how many, roles?), 2008 R2 DC VM
  • Dell#3: Hyper-V host (what version?), number of VMs (how many, roles?), new 2012 R2 DC VM

Problems:

• 2008R2 DC VM on Dell#2 non-responsive, it's the only DNS server on the network. Won't start 
    This may be NTFS permission issue to VHD(x) file(s). See this post for more details. avhd file(s) are not needed and should not exist in normal VM operation. So, their absence does not mean much. Assuming local storage on Dell#2 and not part of a failover cluster
  • Not sure where Exchange 2013 fits in this picture. Is it a VM? on which host? Why we need it now? Typically in a hardware failure situation you want to restore existing functionality, not introduce new software. 
  • Same for the 2012 R2 DC. This is not the time to bring new items online in the middle a break down. This introduces new variables, and makes a bad situation harder to troubleshoot.
  • You don't need AD to move VMs from one host to another. To recover VMs from local storage on failed Dell#1, simply remove the disk(s) and attach them to a functioning Dell. Either internally, or via a USB enclosure. Once the disk is accessible in a functioning Dell, export the VMs to its permanent local storage, and start the VMs. If export encounters problems, you can simply copy the VHD(x) files, and recreate the VMs, assuming you know their memory/CPU/network settings, which is typically documented.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 23rd, 2015 7:42am

Hi Danimal2,

Does the broken computer is running Hyper-V 2008R2 or early version, and the recovery computer running 2012R2 Hyper-V? if yes, please refer the following article to complete the import.

Windows Hyper-V 2012 & 8.1 Hyper-V Did Not Find Virtual Machine to Import

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/2013/10/22/windows-hyper-v-2012-amp-8-1-hyper-v-did-not-find-virtual-machine-to-import.aspx

Im glad to be of help to you!

January 26th, 2015 8:05am

Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 2nd, 2015 4:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics