this computer can't connect to remote computer

Hi all,

I have installed Terminal Services role and then I installed "Remote Desktop Connection v6-RC1" on my windows XP client.

When I try to connect to my server I get this message : this computer can't connect to remote computer

Any idea why ?

Thank you,

Aleks

November 2nd, 2006 8:29pm

Check the remote computer firewall has the remote desktop port open.

Make sure you server is also RC1.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 3rd, 2006 8:35pm

Hi Alex,

The port is open (for domain, public and private network) and the server is a RC1.

November 4th, 2006 1:47pm

Aleks,

Checkauthentication options on clients and Server, are you using TLS ?

November 4th, 2006 2:21pm

Where should I look to see these informations ?

On the Client, the option is set to "Always connect, even if authentification fails"

Thx

November 6th, 2006 9:16am

Check the following:

• check that the terminal services service is running
  • check the firewall port *really* is open (disable the firewall if you want to make sure)
  • ensure that your client and server are both running thematched version of TS and TS client
  • try turning the server to 'less secure; mode in the remote tab

November 6th, 2006 7:27pm

OK, I check everything but allways de same message.

I just didn't find the "less secure" mode in remote tab.

Now my client is running Vista RC2 and I have allways the same message.

Someting else : Every time I reboot my server, the local network interface is set as Public. I have to manually change it as Private.

November 12th, 2006 4:21pm

It's hard to tell, usually this issue is caused by a comms failure (firewall, IPSEC, etc). It is going to be tough to troubleshoot this over the forum. The issue you talka bout the network makes me think you have an issue with the network card driver or IP stack.

Try connecting with the IPv4 address instead of name - it could be an IPv6 issue.

November 16th, 2006 10:08am

I already tried the IPv4 address but nothing better.

Moreover, some times, my server has ONLY an IPv6 address ... really strange (the dhcp has an IPv4 range configured but not an IPv6).

If I found a solution I will post it here.

Thank you.

November 17th, 2006 6:06pm

I am having the exact same issue under the same conditions. I have tried all previous suggestions, but to no avail. Any more thoughts?
December 2nd, 2006 12:42pm

If you also can't see the less secure option on the tab of the host machine please upgrade to the RTM of vista on the host or the latest beta on LH Server.

We can not replicate these issues, without netmon traces it is almost impossible to diag your whole network setup.

All i can say is every time i have seen this issue it has been one of several things:

• The RDP listener is not up on the host (qwinsta.exe can be used to check)
  • The firewall is enabled
  • IPSEC is enabled
  • There is some other networking / comms issueissue

If you have RTM Vista client and a longhorn host, please bug your scenario through the LH bugging tool with as much info as possible.

Alex

December 2nd, 2006 7:51pm

I had the same problem and tried all of the suggestions without any help.

For some reason after installing TS Client 6 the "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" under the Remote tab had become unchecked. Rechecking it fixed it.
December 7th, 2006 7:22pm

I had a similar problem getting the client to connect to the server. On the server my "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" was already checked. So I unchecked it "clicked apply" then rechecked it and "clicked apply". Went to the client clicked connect and it started working.
  • Proposed as answer by BlaneUSC Monday, June 21, 2010 3:14 PM
February 24th, 2007 5:42pm

Came across another possible fix for this problem - disable the Routing and Remote Access service on the client machine.
July 10th, 2007 8:24pm

run remote desktop and used

<hostname>:3389 to access remote

November 8th, 2007 4:20am

I had the same problem and tried all of the above. Discovered that the system was waiting for a restart. Restarted the server and I could then connect without any more problems.

December 12th, 2007 6:33pm

Check the terminal services configurationunder admin tools. Make sure the RDP connection is enabled and has a NIC selected or using any available.
July 18th, 2008 8:43pm

Try this:
  1. Open Regedit and find the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings
  2. Within the Settings sub-key, delete the following sub-keys:

{4eb89ff4-7f78-4a0f-8b8d-2bf02e94e4b2}
    {7390f3d8-0439-4c05-91e3-cf5cb290c3d0}

I only had the first ket but it worked. We went from a Win2k terminal server to 2008 and ran into the same issue. Should only need for XP machines. Here is the source:

http://www.msterminalservices.org/articles/Windows-Server-2008-Terminal-Services-Web-Access-Part2.html

October 31st, 2008 12:02am

Yeah..old post, but another possibility. Ensure the local IPs (PC, router/firewall, etc.) are NOT the same IP as the Remote Server....been there done that!
September 3rd, 2009 4:04pm

Found another reason why this occurs.  Kaspersky virus scanner holds the remote session in limbo when a remote session is closed and prevents others from remoting in. It is possible to kill the pid but it is wiser to modify Kaspersky settings and make it a little less aggressive by allowing other processes to stop it. In particular the svchost needs to be able to stop the kaspersky process when the session is closed. This may also be an issue with other virus scanners.

May 17th, 2010 7:09am

Another reason - wrong entry in the hosts file of your machine referencing the remote server. check that.
January 13th, 2011 9:34pm

Hi,

Please help me

I am useing Windows multipoint server 2010 on 1 computer & I can remote desktop to it normaly

I installed this windows on new computer which didn't recognize my LAN card so I installed it's driver.

every thing works normaly I just can't remote desktop to this new computer.

I checked & understood this computer listen to ipv6 port 3389 but don't listern to ipv4 3389 port!

what can I do to make this computer to listen to post 3389 on ipv4 also?

every thing elseworks normaly & firewall is off.

thanks 

June 8th, 2011 11:47am

A restart fixed my problem. This started after a Windows update occurred.

August 24th, 2011 5:57pm

Same error message, when chkin the tcp\ip dns properties on the on the machine I was running the rdp from saw the domain name put in there manually, removed that, flushed dns and it works now.  
December 7th, 2012 10:18pm

Wish that would have been in engilsh for non IT Tech folks.
April 9th, 2015 11:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics