the user account does not have permission to run this task
I created a scheduled task via Group Policy. The account has been given admin and still doesn't work. I keep getting the error "the user account does not have permission to run this task". This is really frustrating because all the tasks I have that run under the SYSTEM account work fine. This is my first try with a domain account in a scheduled task under 2008 R2 and there is definitly something wrong. I'm having a fustration moment so if anyone can tell me WTF that would be nice. Thanks.
January 13th, 2011 9:01pm

hi , Make sure you provide administrator priviliges to both user and the folder and each of the batch file try giving full permission and let us know
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2011 9:32pm

I think it has something to do with group policy. It worked fine manually creating the process.
January 17th, 2011 10:15am

Old thread, but presented for benefit of others... I believe David Jenkins has it exactly right. It's another GPP bug. I pushed a GPP Task from GPMC in WS2008 R2 SP1 to another WS2008 R2 SP1 server. The Task runs under domain credentials (which also happen to have local Administrators membership). When the Task is created, I get the same "the user account does not have permission to run this task" message. If I export the Task to XML, delete the task, then import the XML file, the presumably identical Task thus created runs without problems. I'm going to post this in the Partner support group and hopefully it will be filed as a bug.
March 28th, 2011 4:49pm

Agreed. The account I was using was a domain admin and has rights to everything.David Jenkins
March 28th, 2011 5:31pm

I’m having the same exact problem on Windows Server 2008 R2. It looks like when I create the task from the web site, and the application pool identity of the site is not a member of the local Administrators group I get this error. If I add the application pool identity to the Administrators group, the task works fine. It seems that if these tasks are created outside of Admin context they are producing this error when run. I’m creating the task from a .NET ASPX page using C# to call the taskschd.dll with Task Scheduler 2.0 interfaces. I’m configuring the task to run as a DOMAIN user account, which is also a member of the local Administrators Group. My guess is that when I am creating the task from the web site, and the web site’s app pool identity does not have admin rights, something fails internally somewhere to set the credentials (maybe in the credential manager) however the task still gets created in Task Scheduler, and no exception is thrown in the code. This could explain why exporting the task and reimporting it succeeds, as the import ends up happening under the context of my logged in user (which is also a member of the local Administrators group). Hope this makes sense, and helps someone somewhere with a similar issue solve their problem quicker than I did!
July 19th, 2011 3:10am

Shame on me for failing to follow up until now, months after my last post in this thread, but Partner support agreed that this is yet another GPP bug.
July 19th, 2011 3:18am

when are they going to fix it? happened to me this week, still don't know how to get around this, i need to distribute scheduled tasks for some hundreds of servers, can't do it by hand.
July 24th, 2012 2:17am

Old thread, but presented for benefit of others... I believe David Jenkins has it exactly right. It's another GPP bug. I pushed a GPP Task from GPMC in WS2008 R2 SP1 to another WS2008 R2 SP1 server. The Task runs under domain credentials (which also happen to have local Administrators membership). When the Task is created, I get the same "the user account does not have permission to run this task" message. If I export the Task to XML, delete the task, then import the XML file, the presumably identical Task thus created runs without problems. I'm going to post this in the Partner support group and hopefully it will be filed as a bug. --------------------------- I'm seeing exactly this behavior when using a GPP to push a task to Windows 7 Thin PCs. I have identical the identical behavior of being able to export the task and re-import it and have it work. I have 600 Thin PCs that I need to schedule this task on so doing a manual work around is not feasible. Does anyone have have an acknowledgement from MS as this being an issue? I'm thinking of opening a case with our Enterprise Support Agreement.
August 2nd, 2012 4:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics