the group policy client service failed the logon

Hi,

I am facing issue in one domain local account. when i am trying to login its giving error message "the group policy client service failed the logon.Access Denied"

Kindly Advice

January 29th, 2013 8:06am

Hi,

The user profile service: Service failed the log on. User profile cannot be loaded

• The problem seems like default profile.. This is what we did.

1, Copy C:\users\default folder(Hiden) on the workstation which has no problem to somewhere (i.e. desktop) and rename it to default2.

2, Copy default2 folder to C:\users\ on the workstation which has a problem.

3, go to registory (regedit) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\Default and change the pass to %SystemDrive%\User\Default2.

4, Reboot the workstation. Then it works fine.

If not then try this:

1. Add user to local Administrators group

2. Log in as user

3. Log off user

4. Log back in as network/local administrator

5. Remove user from Administrators group

6. Log back in as user

7. Success!

Regards,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 29th, 2013 9:32am

I would recommend this way:

1. Logon to the machine with a machine administrator account (assuming this issue is with a domain account, if not logon to the machine using another account with administrative privilege).
  2. Move the machine to a workgroup from domain. (If it was part of one workgroup then change it to another one or join a domain.) You could do this through Control Panel\System and Security\System and then Change Settings.
  3. Restart the machine and logon with a machine administrator account.
  4. Delete your user profile data (or move it a different location) completely from c:\users. "C" in my case is system directory but if you have a different one then use that one.
  5. Join the machine back to domain account (or to workgroup that the machine was originally joined to), and restart the machine.
  6. Logon with your domain account that you were having trouble with. Keep fingers crossed.
  7. If all goes well, you should be logged on.

Case select you will be logged on with a temporary user profile:

1. Login with Administrator account on the local machine.
  2. Open Regedit.
  3. Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
  4. There should be a multitude of Registry keys inside the ProfileList and search for two identical ones which are differentiated by the .bak extension (e.g. xxxxxx1234.bak & xxxxxx1234).
  5. The Registry key with the .bak extension contains the user's actual profile while the one without the .bak contains the Temp profile.
  6. Delete the Registry Key WITHOUT the .bak extension and rename the one with it to xxxxx1234 (without the .bak). Notice the fields on the right, there should be a value named RefCount, change the value to 0.
January 29th, 2013 9:36am

Hi,

Regarding the current issue, please refer to the following article. It may be useful to us.

How to fix "The Group Policy Client service failed the logon. Access denied." error?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/moiqubal/archive/2012/03/04/how-to-fix-quot-the-group-policy-client-service-failed-the-logon-access-denied-quot-error.aspx

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

January 31st, 2013 9:47am

I just had the same error on a machine in a "workgroup" not a member of a domain. The Youtube link below resolved the issue. Basically Windows Update failed at some point and deleted a few group policy settings in the registry. Pretty easy to follow along with and pause the video when needed.

youtube.com/watch?v=4m5KEmckWK4 (my account hasn't been verified so I can't post the hyperlink)

July 19th, 2013 10:40pm

Hi,

I am having the same issue, but this solution did not work for me. When I check the ImagePath, it says:

"%systemroot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs" instead of "....svchost.exe -k GPSvc" 

Who can help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

October 30th, 2013 6:02pm

We just had the same error on a physical box. It was on a Dell PowerEdge R710, running Windows 2008 R2 Standard. The following is how I fixed it:

1.) Login to the machine with the local administrator account.

2.) Delete the profile for the user that's having the problem, i.e. C:\Users\User01

3.) Run Regedit, and remove the profile from HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Windows NT>CurrentVersion>Profile List>(SID) (you can right click on Profile List and do a search for the user name, i.e. User01.

4.) Once found, delete the entire KEY for the user.

5.) Double check to ensure it's removed from System Properties>Advanced System Settings>Advanced TAB>User Profiles (Settings...) button>  If you see the user in there, delete it too.

6.) Logoff as Local Admin and reboot. (Reboot not 100% necessary, but I usually do just in case)

7.) Login with domain username and you should be all set.

• Proposed as answer by Chet W Friday, May 16, 2014 2:17 PM
May 16th, 2014 2:16pm

thx very much !

your solution works

August 25th, 2014 3:25pm

In my case other domain admins were able to connect by RDP without any issues so I suspected that it was limited to my user account. My solution:

1. Log in as a local admin
2. Open up System Properties (sysdm.cpl)
3. Go to Advanced tab and choose Settings under User Profiles
4. Find the profile for the account that can't log in and delete it. This deletes the profile folder and registry key for you.
April 10th, 2015 2:24pm

I just simply login with the local admin account and deleted then profile, logout then back in.
June 24th, 2015 6:09pm

this solution worked for me:

removed local profile, removed server profile, removed profile path, added user to local admins. Log the user on and off. than removed user from local admins. and the issue was resolved.

July 6th, 2015 8:15am

This is a much cleaner and easier fix than unjoining from the domain and rejoining to the domain. I just tried it and it's a quick and easy fix.

If losing data from the profile is the issue, you can still retain that data as long as you are logged in as an administrator. Many different ways to do this, either take ownership or copy the profile to a network share before you delete it in the correct way. (Computer>Properties>Advanced System Settings>User Settings...)

July 21st, 2015 5:19pm

Hi,

Logon to the machine with a machine administrator account

Goto Services and check the User Profiles Service is started . If its not , please turn into STARTED mode .

It will resolve the issue

Thanks

Eldhose Jacob

Webshore

August 4th, 2015 9:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics