task scheduler calling a mapped network drive - excel file
Hi, Most of the time Scheduling tasks with mapped drives may create issues. I would recommend to use UNC paths instead of mapped drives. Have a look: http://forum.acronis.com/forum/17699Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
October 10th, 2012 12:24pm

@Feng - the drive mapping is accessible via Explorer and am able to go to go to UNC path from start menu. From both methods I can double click on the .xls and launch the excel file with the macro. @MyousufAli - The user account is part of the local Administrator group, the Run with highest privledges is check, the user who is set with permission on the Task has effective permissions of Full Control down the directory structure that is K. Also I'm logged into the server where the task is run as the said user when I did the checking for @Feng. Additional info When I launch the task I get 6 events 1) 110 - task triggered 2) 319 - task engine received... 3) 200 - action started 4) 203 Action failed to start 5) 103 - action start failed for # 4 I get Task Scheduler failed to launch action "K:\SQM Public\Job Launch Scripts\AutoLaunch ScheduledSQMs400PM.xls" in instance "{a2f44145-0506-475d-91c0-c0915d460d95}" of task "\SQM 400pm Daily". Additional Data: Error Value: 2147942403. for #5 I get Task Scheduler failed to start instance "{a2f44145-0506-475d-91c0-c0915d460d95}" of "\SQM 400pm Daily" task for user "domain name\user" . Additional Data: Error Value: 2147942403.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 3rd, 2012 10:08am

Hi, Most of the time Scheduling tasks with mapped drives may create issues. I would recommend to use UNC paths instead of mapped drives. Have a look: http://forum.acronis.com/forum/17699Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
November 3rd, 2012 10:29am

Server 2008 R2 Standard User contacted me indicating that a task that is scheduled to run on their server is not working properly. Supposedly it has run in the past. Under the User account on the server they have a mapped drive K: that maps to \\server\directory, it is a persistent map. They stayed logged into the RDP session and just X out and leave it running. The XML of the job is below but the basics are they are calling an excel spreadsheet configured with a Macro from the mapped drive. The job is set to run whether user is logged on or not and run with highest privildeges. The job action is to run the excel file through the mapping so Action: Start Program Details: "K:\SQM....name.xls" WE ARE GETTING ERROR: The system cannot find the path specified (0x80070003) I'm being told can't run through UNC path as the marco writes alot of information to the K drive? Ideas? <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?> <Task version="1.2" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task"> <RegistrationInfo> <Date>2012-09-27T08:52:37.7381237</Date> <Author>domain\username </Author> <Description>Scheduled Daily SQM job 4 pm daily</Description> </RegistrationInfo> <Triggers> <CalendarTrigger> <StartBoundary>2012-09-27T16:00:00</StartBoundary> <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT20M</ExecutionTimeLimit> <Enabled>true</Enabled> <ScheduleByWeek> <DaysOfWeek> <Monday /> <Tuesday /> <Wednesday /> <Thursday /> <Friday /> </DaysOfWeek> <WeeksInterval>1</WeeksInterval> </ScheduleByWeek> </CalendarTrigger> </Triggers> <Principals> <Principal id="Author"> <UserId>domain\user </UserId> <LogonType>Password</LogonType> <RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel> </Principal> </Principals> <Settings> <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy> <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries> <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>false</StopIfGoingOnBatteries> <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate> <StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable> <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable> <IdleSettings> <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd> <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle> </IdleSettings> <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand> <Enabled>false</Enabled> <Hidden>false</Hidden> <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle> <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun> <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT20M</ExecutionTimeLimit> <Priority>7</Priority> </Settings> <Actions Context="Author"> <Exec> <Command>"K:\SQM Public\Job Launch Scripts\AutoLaunch ScheduledSQMs400PM.xls"</Command> </Exec> </Actions> </Task>
November 3rd, 2012 3:35pm

Hi, Check if the shared server \\server\directory could be accessible? Is the driver K mapping correctly? Does the xls file(K:\SQM Public\Job Launch Scripts\AutoLaunch ScheduledSQMs400PM.xls) resides on server still be reachable if you manually access it? If not, what's the error message about them? Regards, Cicely
November 4th, 2012 2:14am

In addition to Cicely Feng. 1. Check the user account which is used to run the task. It should be a member of Administrators group. 2. Check Run with highest privileges is selected. 3. Check read and execute permission on the mapped drive K: Thanks
November 4th, 2012 2:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics