system error 1290 after register w32time service
Hello all I'm getting a system error 1290, when i try to use the command "net start w32time". The output from cmd looks like this: System error 1290 has occurred. The service start failed since one or more services in the same process have an incompatible service SID type setting. A service with restricted service SID type can only coexist in the same process with other services with a restricted SID type. If the service SID type for this service was just configured, the hosting process must be restarted in order to start this service. How do i recover from this error?
October 19th, 2010 3:53am

We are getting the following error message at our end while trying to start the Routing and Remote Access Service. --------------------------- Services --------------------------- Could not start the Routing and Remote Access service on Local Computer. Error 1290: 0x50a --------------------------- OK --------------------------- We are also getting a system event 7000 in the event viewer I wanted to know if the above mentioned issue was resolved by any chance?? Thanks, Prashant
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 28th, 2010 1:13am

I am confused why modifying the TAPI server would affect the Time Server.Harold Naparst
March 10th, 2011 3:57am

That's true. The problem was solved just restarting the server.
September 30th, 2012 1:31am

Troubleshooting an unrelated issue, I think I've finally found the solution to this error (sometimes, rebooting also fixes this specific error). See the underlined command below, and mind the required space between = and own. The command puts the w32time service in it's own svchost process, so it doesn't have to share the process with other services which may have been configured with an service SID type incompatible with w32time's. Running the following from an elevated command prompt seems to be a pretty surefire way to fix your Windows Time service. pushd %SystemRoot%\system32.\net stop w32time.\w32tm /unregister.\w32tm /register.\sc config w32time type= own.\net start w32time.\w32tm /config /update /manualpeerlist:"0.pool.ntp.org,1.pool.ntp.org,2.pool.ntp.org,3.pool.ntp.org",0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL /reliable:yes.\w32tm /resyncpopd
November 1st, 2012 9:46am

Thanks VBdP the sc config command worked Cheers.
November 28th, 2012 5:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics