systemMayContain and MayContain

Hi

I have a interforest migration scenario with a 15 year old domain where there are 100 custom attributes that are bound to a class.

Source domain is FFL and DFL 2003

In the source domain the class have all 100 attributes in systemMayContain 

Target domain FFL and DFL 2008R2

When I create the class (Auxiliary-Class) in target all attributes I add are placed under MayContain instead of systemMayContain in the source, when I have been reading about this it has to do with inheritence from the Auxiliary-Class

Will this cause any problems later on?

August 28th, 2015 10:02am

Both items are different attributes listed within the schema, they both seem to be optional and not mandatory to set and have ties with ADLDS.

For these values in your environment do you know what application or service has assigned attributes to them?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 2:23pm

Sorry for my late reply but im been traveling

The attributes are used for branding, invoicing and some application use the attributes to read information of the users

August 31st, 2015 2:42am

If I understand correctly you are asking if it will cause a problem, but right now there is no problem correct?

If the application uses these attributes meaning the application fills them out without admin interference then I would assume that you should be fine, all you are doing is moving the forest and domain levels up, these attributes are not changing nor how does the AD design does things.... I would strongly suggest you contact the application vendor and get the full details from them, while the basics may not change with the forest upgrade the application may open new abilities and uses for you. 

August 31st, 2015 2:25pm

Hi Magnus-

What you're describing sounds like exactly how this should work to me, so you should be good.

August 31st, 2015 3:40pm

Good :-)

I have not migrated any users yet and I don't think there will be any problems at all.

The thing that is a little bit strange is that if I add an attribute to the class in source then it it's placed under SystemMayContain and in target all attributes are placed under MayContain but I belive this is the legacy of an old domain

September 1st, 2015 11:09am

The same behavior on my side.
September 7th, 2015 12:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics