sysprep and still SID errors
Hi, I've created a VM in virtualbox, used sysprep, cloned it and still getting SID errors on the VM. This is the situation: 1. Created a VM 2. Installed Windows Server 2008 R2 3. sysprep 4. Clone 5. Created a DC on one of the VM 6. Created users in de DC 7. Can select the AD user on the other VM (add to group administrator) 8. name and SID shows up (S-1-5-21-...) 9. Error : user already exists when i press ok So it seems that the sysprep didn't work or whatever. I don't understand. Run a diagnosis with ntdsutil but the logfile is empty. Gr, Hennie
May 4th, 2012 6:52am

Did sysprep process run during boot while you switched on the cloned VM? How many cloned VMs you created? Why are you trying to add local users from other VM to DC VM? What accounts are they? Built in or manually created? Also try if possible demote the DC, run NewSID v4.10 utility and re-prmote it. Sachin Gadhave (MCP, MCTS)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 4th, 2012 7:48am

Hi Hennie, Could you expand a little from steps 6 through to 9, please? There's not enough detail there to form a clear idea of what's going on. If you could perhaps provide an example while focusing on one account so that we can follow what's happening with that account from it's creation (during step 6) through to the error (step 9), that would help a lot. Cheers, Lain
May 4th, 2012 7:58am

Here are my answers Did sysprep process run during boot while you switched on the cloned VM? Nope. first sysprep and then a clone. How many cloned VMs you created? 1 Why are you trying to add local users from other VM to DC VM? What accounts are they? No, just users from the DC. Just normal users. nothing special. Built in or manually created? I've created them by myself. Below i explain the steps 6 to 9 in more detail 6. Created users in de DC On the DC machine i've created users in the"active directory users and computers" . On the users sibling i've created a couple of users. Myself as a test acount and a couple of 7. Can select the AD user on the other VM (add to group administrator) On the other VM i can select the user when i add the user at the "computer management" (add to group), the DC is shown and i enter a login and password and i can select the user i want. Great. 8. Name and SID shows up (S-1-5-21-...) When I add the user from the DC on the other VM ( add to group) a SID is shown. When i look up this number on Microsoft site it says something about cloned user.. 9. Error : user already exists when i press ok This error appears when i press the OK button in the "Add to group" window. Error appears also when i try to add the other users. Currently rebuilding another VM for building a SQL Server environment. Hope that the error is gone... Greetz, Hennie
May 4th, 2012 9:38am

With sysprep did you select "Generalize" ? If no then the SID is not changedMCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
May 4th, 2012 12:14pm

Hi, How is everything going? If there is any update from your side, please feel free to let me know. Regards, JamesJames Xiong TechNet Community Support
May 10th, 2012 9:13pm

Run the SID checker to see if the SIDS are indeed different.: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897417
May 10th, 2012 10:10pm

ok thnx. I think i mixed up the installation steps or something. I 've recreated the VM and now the SID error is gone. Thnx!
May 12th, 2012 7:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics