sync files between two windows 2k3 servers
we are in the process of rolling out our new ftp server and i need to move about around 700GB of data from the old server to the new. one problem i have is i cannot turn off the old server to stop new ftp transfers from coming in while i transition/move data over to the new server. so i was looking for ideas on how i can best accomplish the task of setting up a temporary sync between the two servers which will copy over the data and also keep updating the new server with any new files that have been added/changed to the old. i only plan on using the sync for a few days to and then i am going to flip the switch to the new ftp server and decommision the old one and remove the sync. thanks
January 12th, 2011 11:58am

Hello, i don't know if robocopy is able to fullfill this task, as you are asking for a permanent data control between 2 servers and sync them more or less immediately. From my point of view DFS can be an option as this can keep folders on different servers in sync. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/dfs/default.mspxBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 12th, 2011 5:17pm

i am not looking for a permanent data control between 2 servers. if anything it will be in place for a couple of days maybe a week at most. if i were to use DFS will i run into any issues using DFS to transfer that amount of data?
January 12th, 2011 5:32pm

Hello, robocopy is able to do a mirror of data and then also sync only the difference between folders. So then that maybe is an option for you.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 12th, 2011 5:44pm

i will do some researching and testing of robocopy and post back any further questions.
January 12th, 2011 6:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics