switching IP addresses DSL to Cable
I am the new IT person on an undocumented system. We have 7 servers, domain controller, Citrix server, SQL server, print server, exchange server running exchange 2003, a hyper-v machine running 3 virtual servers and a VOIP server. We use a Sonic Wall firewall, have 1 full ISDN with 24 PRIs, a T1 line and DSL. I am switching from DSL to cable. I have ordered 5 static IPs from comcast and the cable modem is in. I need to get my mail server onto this new line. I don't even know where to begin. Is it just a setting in the firewall? Is there a specific place to set the domain controller? Mary Lou
June 3rd, 2011 11:03pm

If you are moving to Cable from DSL...why all of the confusion. Seems that you will simply need to change that portion of the network. Your domain controller and other internal network servers should be on the private side of your network. With regard to the mail servers, are they sitting in your DMZ or are you doing a reverse NAT/port fowarding to an internal host? If your public IPs are changing, you have to consult with your DNS Administrator and update the host records that are used on the internet DNS zone, specifically for the concern you have about mail...The MX record(s) need to be updated. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 4th, 2011 12:13am

Hi Mary, Thanks for posting here. How does your internal system connect to internet ? what about the internet edge in this scenario ? How does you exchange service be published to internet right now ? Are you using NAT ? if yes, remap the new internet address to your internal exchange service by setting port/address forwarder on NAT device and update the internet address for your internet MX DNS record to point to the new internet address like what JM descripted is the way. It’s appreciate that if you can discuss your network topology in detail. Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 6th, 2011 6:21am

Hi and Thank you all for responding. I feel so lost in this system. I have not mapped the network entirely. Its like viewing an elephant though a keyhole. I have a T1 line, DSL , ISDN for VOIP server and 4 POTS lines for dedicated fax and now cable. The T1 manages an offsite office in a different state. It comes into a first floor com room to the Universal Edge then to a Cisco switch. VPN to our Citrix server. We also have about 10 other distributed workers use the same VPN to get to citrix. The DSL serves internet traffic and primary MX traffic to our exchange server with the T1 for secondary MX. It goes to a hub then into a cisco switch, then to a fiber line that sends everything to the 2nd floor switch/patchbay room. equipment in the 1st floor com room SAVIS modem/router, Universal Edge bridge?, Cisco 3650, 48 bay patch panel, cisco catalyst 3650, 48 bay patch panel, opticom (fiber backbone), dell switch, 24 bay patch panel, wireless router, DSL modem(internet and MX1), Fax modem for savis, 6 port hub, punch down block with 4 pots lines, cable modem/router. 2nd floor com room I have a panduit opticom (fiber backbone), 2 48 bay patch panels a dell power connect and cisco catalyst 3650 POE 24 switches. I haven't drawn a physical map of the networking in the server room yet. But I know there is another cisco 3650 switch and 24 PRI lines for the VOIP. 1 Citrix server, 1 Exchange server, 1 HP VOIP server, 1 DC, 1 print server, 1 sql server, 1 hyper v running 3 virtual servers, 1 accounting server. Very little of this is labeled. I am slowly sorting out how it all works together, no documentation was left for me. The Sonic Wall firewall is in the server rack. It has 3 networks defined X0 is our LAN 10.0.0.2, X1 verizon DSL IP, X2 is our T1 IP. The printers are on a 10.0.1.20-30 network and I don't really understand this. Well I actually don't understand much of it. I don't know quite where to start to figure the network out and how it all fits together. It seems like some big medusa-head. I think all I have to do to switch from DSL to cable is to update my MX1 listing in the A record and configure the sonic wall X1 with the static IP, primary and secondary DNS info and gateway I got from the cable company. Any suggestions in where to begin with sorting this out would be appreciated. I keep thinking of that line from Alice in Wonderland, "Begin at the beginning," the King said gravely "and go on until you come to the end: then stop." Thanks, Mary Lou
June 7th, 2011 10:06am

Hello Mary Lou, You situation while seems confusing and hopeless is actually an oportunity for you. Once you figure all of this out, you'll definately have given yourself quite of bit of knowledge and experience. I think the best thing for you to do before you make any changes is to start by creating a network map. You can start at the entry points into the network, log into each machine figure out what is connected to what, documented the routes, etc... If you do not have a good asset managment system, at least start a spreadsheet and document each pience of network equipment you have. I would do the same for all applications you have running. Once all of this work is completed and you have a good network map and application flow diagrams, figuring out what needs to be done in this situation and future ones, should be fairly easy. Its going to be very difficult for anyone on this forum to provide you with a detailed answer on how to address the IP change without the information I had suggested you put together. For the most part, if you are switching out an internet provider, you simply need to focus on what resources you currently have on that IP range and update the configuraitons on those systems, DNS, and your firewall. When completing these changes, make sure you develop a schedule, get it approved, and communicate the changes with your users so that everyone is aware of what is going to happen. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 7th, 2011 4:58pm

YAAHOOO it worked!!! Thanks all!!! Mary Lou
June 11th, 2011 6:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics