storing encrypted strings (DPAPI clarification)

Hello, 

I have used the following code to store an encrypted string. Note, UserA is not the user logged on but rather the user that was used to run PowerShell (i.e. RunAs). 

PS C:\Users\Administrator> whoami
testdomain\userA
PS C:\Users\Administrator> $string = Read-Host -Prompt Enter String -AsSecureString | ConvertFrom-SecureString | Set-Content c:\encString.txt

After having read up on the DPAPI it's my understanding that the key used for encryption is UserAs logon credential.  When I then run PowerShell under UserB's context (i.e. RunAs) and try pull in the encrypted string I receive the expected error seen below.

testdomain\userB
PS C:\Users\Administrator> $UserAEncString = Get-Content c:\encString.txt | ConvertTo-SecureString
ConvertTo-SecureString : Key not valid for use in specified state.
At line:1 char:47
+ $UserAEncString = Get-Content c:\encString.txt | ConvertTo-SecureString
+                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [ConvertTo-SecureString], CryptographicException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ImportSecureString_InvalidArgument_CryptographicError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ConvertToSecureStringCommand

This is obviously normal because UserB's logon credential is different than UserA's. I'm looking for clarification / confirmation that the only user that will be able to leverage the encrypted string in a credential is UserA. An example of what I mean by leverage a credential is listed below. 

testdomain\userA
PS C:\Users\Administrator> $UserAEncString = Get-Content c:\encString.txt | ConvertTo-SecureString
PS C:\Users\Administrator> $cred = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList 'MyUser',$encString
Thanks!

January 31st, 2015 1:28am

Joey,

As long as you don't specify a specific key then the secure string can only be decrypted by the user who converted it in the first place.  Convertto and Convertfrom secure string both offer the option to use a separate key for the encryption and you can use that option if you need it.

The obvious caveat here is that a secure string is just a scrambled string and like anything else could potentially be decrypted by someone who was determined enough to do it.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 31st, 2015 4:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics