sqlmanagment studio: cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application (after installing vs2013)

HI,

After deinstalling vs2012 and installing vs2013 I cannot start sqlmanagment studio anymore with the following error: "cannot find one or more components..." The database is still ok because I can still run my project using the sqlserver 2012 express database. The suggestions found when searching does not work sofar. How can i solve it without messing up my database.?

regards,

Toon

January 15th, 2014 5:58am

Hello,

In case have not done that yet, could you please try to perform a repair?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646006(v=sql.110).aspx

Another option could be uninstall SSMS only and install it again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 15th, 2014 8:57pm

Hi Toon,

Please refer to the following steps try to resolve the issue:
1. Start regedit.exe
2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio
3. Delete 11.0_Config
4. Restart ssms.exe

There is a similar issue, you can refer to it.
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/690773/after-installing-visual-studio-11-my-sql-server-denali-cannot-be-opened

Regards,
Alisa Tang

January 16th, 2014 7:42am

Hi Alisa,

Yes, found this answer and deleted the entry 11.0_config but still get the same error!

January 17th, 2014 5:55am

I tried using SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU and choose repair. The first time I get an error during the repair phase (the check phase everything passed) with missing some installation file and the second time I did I get  a Blue Screen and windows7/64 crashed....
January 17th, 2014 6:12am

I tried using SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU and choose repair. The first time I get an error during the repair phase (the check phase everything passed) with missing some installation file and the second time I did I get  a Blue Screen and windows7/64 crashed....

I get the following error message during the repair phase

TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.
------------------------------

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

The required MSI package 'd:\bb9f26f168ab733848e913a9\x64\setup\..\..\1033_ENU_LP\x64\setup\.\..\..\redist\VisualStudioShell\VSIntSetup' doesn't exist.

Error code 0x858C0038.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&EvtType=0xFDC38F1F%25400xE62C46B1%25401420%254056

• Edited by Torbang Friday, January 17, 2014 11:40 AM
January 17th, 2014 11:10am

Torbang,

Did you find a resolution to your issue? I have encountered the same error on x86 win7.

February 20th, 2014 4:38am

My co-worker got the exactly same problem and this is what he had to do to fix it:

After recently upgrading my Visual Studio from 2012 to 2013, I noticed that it corrupted my SQL Server 2012 client tools to the point where SSMS would crash on startup.  After some frustrating research on MSDN and several attempts to reconfigure or reinstall it, I finally got it all working and peacefully coexisting by completely uninstalling both VS and SQL Server, including accessory stuff like IIS.  Then a clean install of SQL Server 2012 followed by a clean install of VS 2013 fixed it.  Microsoft really needs to get their act together in terms of interoperability in their own tools.  

February 20th, 2014 4:49am

SSMS Depends on Visual Studio 2010 IDE, which if not installed the SQL Server Setup will do, but if any version is present, the setup will ignore it, even at repair

Re Install, I figured that the SSMS needs Visual Studio 10 IDE to run, which I've removed by mistake after uninstalling VS 2010.

So, I Opened the Setup Media and searched for Visual Studio Setup. The .msi file run quitly and Filled the missing parts, and the Management Studio Run OK.

June 10th, 2014 7:17pm

I had this exact issue. The DVD for SQL Server 2012 contains the folder VSIntSetup in 1033_enu_lp/redist/visualstudioshell whereas the download from Microsoft does not. If you have access to the SQL Server 2012 DVD, copy this folder to the path above and run Repair and that fixes the issue without having to destry your databases or reinstall.

--

Rob

November 20th, 2014 8:13pm

Thxs! this solved for me!
November 28th, 2014 2:16pm

OK this has happened to me too after install Visual Studio 2013 beside VS2012.

First let me say that SQL does not need VS2010 to run.  I installed SQL Server (Developer Version) over top VS2012 initially...

After reading this thread before trying anything myself, since I had the CD VERSION myself I inserted the CD and the initial page of links popped up... I selected the "Maintenance" link from the LEFT side.  Then I selected REPAIR.

When this service started I just followed the prompts selecting all the defaults and it finished without a hitch without a single error.SQL now works normally.

Microsoft should correct the download version so it will correctly repair these installs if SQL 2012 over VS2013.  IF you have the CD, you're in luck!  It was a great $50 investment!

I'm very happy again.

I hope this helped everyone finding this thread.

January 13th, 2015 7:08pm

I found that if you do not have the CD you can get the VS 2010 IDE component that SSMS 2012 relies on here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=1366

It's called Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Isolated)

After installing that, SSMS runs for me again, Microsoft needs to add this install into their repair logic!

Marc

February 18th, 2015 9:08pm

Marc, this was helpful thanks. After getting the VS 2010 IDE component, I did have to run a few windows updates before SSMS would work.
April 8th, 2015 6:15pm

Try this: http://klevster.com/fix/sql20122014-management-studio-cannot-find-one-or-more-components-please-reinstall-the-application/

Uninstalling VS 2010 Shell and then repairing MSSMS 2014 finally worked for me.

From  the link above:

"Struck an issue with a Windows 2012 Server with VS2012 installed trying to open SQL 2012 Management Studio giving the error:

Cannot find one or more components.  Please reinstall the application

After having tried a heap of combination of things, installing SQL 2014 Management Studio, uninstalling, reinstalling Then repairing VS2012, installing SQL 2014 Management Studio again. All to no avail.

What finally got me over the line was to uninstall the Visual Studio 2010 Shell, this was done by downloading the installer from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1366

Once downloaded, run the installer and remove the VS2010 Shell component. Once done, run the SQL 2014 Management Studio installer or do a repair on your existing installation, this will itself reinstall the VS2010 Shell components.

Then bam, it finally opened for me."

May 12th, 2015 8:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics