sql server migration

hi ,

currently we have sql server 2005 single node and we are planning to move to sql 2014 cluster with two node .

I have question regarding the cluster since on my case there was no cluster before , I need to keep the same server name for the sql to minimize the changes I have to do .

in this case I will have two node lets say sql01 and sql02 in order to keep the same naming  iI have to set the old sql server name  as cluster network name or there is another solution ?

or what is the solution in such case if I need to keep the same name ?

August 25th, 2015 6:11am

You need to build a two node sql cluster with a different SQL Network Name and then during the migration, once all databases are moved, just change the SQL Network Names.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178083(v=sql.120).aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2015 6:20am

thanks Ashwin , so in my case the old server name where the users was connected will be in my new environment the SQL network Name ? is that correct ? 

August 25th, 2015 11:56am

Yes, that is correct. Just follow the article correctly.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2015 1:01pm

so in my case the setup will be the below :

old environment : one sql node with many instance (server name for example SQLSERVER)

New Environment : two sql node ( SQLSERVER01 and SQLSERVER02 ) and Network Cluster Name will be (SQLSERVER as the old server name ) 

is the above correct so far ? 

if yes  how to resolve the naming issue using the DNS alias to avoid any issue and problems with old sesrver and database .

thanks and appreciate your support :-) 

August 25th, 2015 3:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics