spoosv.exe buffer overrun on Windows Server 2003
Hello, on one of our Windows 2003 R2 Servers (sp2), we seem to be encountering some problems regarding spoolsv.exe When the computer starts up, or anytime we try to add or remove printers or start the print spooler, we receive an error window stating: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Buffer overrun detected! Program C:\Windows\system32\spoolsv.exe A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. This program cannot safely continue execution and must be terminated. This is a pretty recent occurrence, although I cannot recall any changes to this computer that would warrant this.
April 17th, 2009 7:40pm

Hello,This is not a normal behaviour of Windows2003 Server. Iadvise you to restart the server in the safemode andPerform a Virus scan and see if it solves the issue. If at all the problem still presist please expand the spoolsv.ex_ from the I386 folder located in the Windows 2003 mediaand replace with an older one.Thankshttp://technetfaqs.wordpress.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 19th, 2009 10:46am

hi justin,this buffer overrun is caused by Trojan / virus, i would recommend you to have a virus check on your system. And majority times the culprit would be the dll. also please do follow syed's work around sainath Windows Driver Development
April 19th, 2009 1:40pm

Thank you for the help. After booting into safemode I am unable to do anything. Anytime I try to run anything it essentially reboots. I have tried running my antivirus normally, and have found nothing. I have expanded spoolsv.ex_ and it has not helped so far. Are there any other suggestions? All help is appreciated! Thanks!
April 22nd, 2009 11:58pm

Hi Justin, According to your description, it seems that there are some conflict among the third party services. Have you installed any applications before this issue occurred? If so, you can try to uninstall that application to have a test whether this issue persists. If this issue continues, I recommend that you have a repair install for the system. Best regards, Vincent Hu
April 23rd, 2009 9:00am

Justin, have you had any luck with this? I just experienced exactly the same thing, when setting up a new server (with no time to get a virus yet). I installed an HP 2100 series network printer, then an HP 1200 printer connected to a JetDirect, and both seemed to work OK. At least they printed test pages. Then I started to install a KM Bizhub 600. That is when the problems became apparent. The installation software could not find the printer. When I cancelled, that's when the Buffer overrun started. As I said, this is a new server. It is replacing another Win2003 server, which had all the same printers installed, plus a couple more I never got to on the new server. I would try uninstalling the printers, but the spooler won't stay started long enough! What are the odds that two of us had the same problem--and it is not a common one? Anyone? Thanks. Bill
June 28th, 2009 2:13am

Can you guys open a new thread with the errors you are having. Thanks http://technetfaqs.wordpress.com
June 28th, 2009 9:05am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics