software msi install not working
hello, I am trying to install an msi anti virus file by applying a GPO computer setting assigned software installation. However the gpo is not being applies and I am not understanding why since I placed the related pc in a new OU and applied the gpo to the OU computer setting. Also when I run the gp results from server I get RPC server is unavailable for that pc and WMI is started. Any clue
September 6th, 2010 8:05am

Hello Acmsoft, What is the exact error message in the application event viewer? You mentioned that "when I run the gp results from server I get RPC server is unavailable for that pc and WMI is started." Does issue occurs when you collect GPResult from remote computer by using Group Policy Results Wizard? I can reproduce this issue on my side, please check whether the DNS configuration is correct on the domain controller. Please collect output of ipconfig /all on domain controller and paste it to the forum for further research. Brent Hu, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2010 10:36am

Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Server2008DC Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : home.local Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home.local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E/RTL8103E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-66-83-C0-49 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::348a:fa3c:3280:d0d6%11(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254 DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234887526 DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-15-A8-99-00-19-66-83-C0-49 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : ::1 127.0.0.1 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap.{4373A7C4-33C5-4081-B134-2396B1CA5B26}: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes p address no from the pc the gp results works, if you want I can paste and info from the result you request ? Is this supposed to be to just put an msi file under computer or user software installation and make sure that the msi file is on a network path accessable from the pc whom it will be applied ? No relevant application errors have been noted on the pc.
September 19th, 2010 9:40am

Also from the same pc I got this... C:\Users\and>gpupdate /force Updating Policy... User policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were encount ered: The processing of Group Policy failed because of lack of network connectivity to a domain controller. This may be a transient condition. A success message would be generated once the machine gets connected to the domain controller and Group Policy has succesfully processed. If you do not see a success message for sever al hours, then contact your administrator. Computer policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were enc ountered: The processing of Group Policy failed because of lack of network connectivity to a domain controller. This may be a transient condition. A success message would be generated once the machine gets connected to the domain controller and Group Policy has succesfully processed. If you do not see a success message for sever al hours, then contact your administrator. To diagnose the failure, review the event log or run GPRESULT /H GPReport.html f rom the command line to access information about Group Policy results. I can ping the server and access shared files, what is causing the above pls ?
September 19th, 2010 9:58am

Hello Acmsoft, So that help us isolate the issue, please help answer following questions: 1. Does this issue exist on all client computers or just some of them? 2. Is this software able to install on the client computer without using GPO? 3. After run GPupdate /force, what is the exact error message in the event viewer both on client and domain controller? 4. Do you try to rejoin the domain on the client computer? Please run the following command on the client to locate domain controller, and paste it to the forum for further troubleshooting. nltest /dsgetdc:domainname /force > c:\nltest.txt Meanwhile, please collect Gpresult /H and Gpsvc.log file from the problematic client and upload to SkyDrive. userenvlog for Windows Vista/2008/Win7 http://blogs.technet.com/b/mempson/archive/2010/01/10/userenvlog-for-windows-vista-2008-win7.aspx Event ID 1129 — Group Policy Preprocessing (Networking) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd392556(v=WS.10).aspx Brent Hu,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 19th, 2010 11:37pm

sorry for the delay here is the error : C:\Users\and>gpupdate /force Updating Policy... User policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were encount ered: The processing of Group Policy failed because of lack of network connectivity to a domain controller. This may be a transient condition. A success message would be generated once the machine gets connected to the domain controller and Group Policy has succesfully processed. If you do not see a success message for sever al hours, then contact your administrator. Computer policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were enc ountered: The processing of Group Policy failed because of lack of network connectivity to a domain controller. This may be a transient condition. A success message would be generated once the machine gets connected to the domain controller and Group Policy has succesfully processed. If you do not see a success message for sever al hours, then contact your administrator. To diagnose the failure, review the event log or run GPRESULT /H GPReport.html f rom the command line to access information about Group Policy results. Group Policy Management body { font-size:68%;font-family:MS Shell Dlg; margin:0px,0px,0px,0px; border: 1px solid #666666; background:#F6F6F6; width:100%; word-break:normal; word-wrap:break-word; } .head { font-weight:bold; font-size:160%; font-family:MS Shell Dlg; width:100%; color:#6587DC; background:#E3EAF9; border:1px solid #5582D2; padding-left:8px; height:24px; } .path { margin-left: 10px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom:5px;width:100%; } .info { padding-left:10px;width:100%; } table { font-size:100%; width:100%; border:1px solid #999999; } th { border-bottom:1px solid #999999; text-align:left; padding-left:10px; height:24px; } td { background:#FFFFFF; padding-left:10px; padding-bottom:10px; padding-top:10px; } .btn { width:100%; text-align:right; margin-top:16px; } .hdr { font-weight:bold; border:1px solid #999999; text-align:left; padding-top: 4px; padding-left:10px; height:24px; margin-bottom:-1px; width:100%; } .bdy { width:100%; height:182px; display:block; overflow:scroll; z-index:2; background:#FFFFFF; padding-left:10px; padding-bottom:10px; padding-top:10px; border:1px solid #999999; } button { width:6.9em; height:2.1em; font-size:100%; font-family:MS Shell Dlg; margin-right:15px; } @media print { .bdy { display:block; overflow:visible; } button { display:none; } .head { color:#000000; background:#FFFFFF; border:1px solid #000000; } } Setting Path: Explanation <button>P rint</button> <button>C lose</button> No explanation is available for this setting. Supported On: Not available Group Policy Results HOME\and Data collected on: 9/30/2010 7:48:51 AM Summary Computer Configuration Summary No data available. User Configuration Summary General User name HOME\and Domain home.local Last time Group Policy was processed 9/30/2010 7:42:18 AM Group Policy Objects Applied GPOs Name Link Location Revision Deploy Printers home.local AD (4), Sysvol (4) Denied GPOs Name Link Location Reason Denied Local Group Policy Local Empty Remove CTRL ALT DELETE home.local Empty Default Domain Policy home.local Empty Security Group Membership when Group Policy was applied S-1-5-21-2013363475-2908113848-1390553648-513 Everyone BUILTIN\Users BUILTIN\Administrators NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE CONSOLE LOGON NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users NT AUTHORITY\This Organization LOCAL S-1-5-21-2013363475-2908113848-1390553648-512 S-1-5-21-2013363475-2908113848-1390553648-519 S-1-5-21-2013363475-2908113848-1390553648-572 Mandatory Label\High Mandatory Level WMI Filters Name Value Reference GPO(s) None Component Status Component Name Status Last Process Time Group Policy Infrastructure Failed 9/30/2010 7:44:19 AM Group Policy Infrastructure failed due to the error listed below. The network is not present or not started. Note: Due to the GP Core failure, none of the other Group Policy components processed their policy. Consequently, status information for the other components is not available. Additional information may have been logged. Review the Policy Events tab in the console or the application event log for events between 9/30/2010 7:42:18 AM and 9/30/2010 7:44:19 AM. Group Policy Printers (N/A) 9/6/2010 6:52:00 AM Computer Configuration No data available. User Configuration Preferences Control Panel Settings Printers Shared Printer (Name: \\SERVER2008DC\Canon MP160 Printer) The following settings have applied to this object. Within this category, settings nearest the top of the report are the prevailing settings when resolving conflicts. Canon MP160 Printer Winning GPO Deploy Printers Result: Success General Action Update Properties Share Path \\SERVER2008DC\Canon MP160 Printer Set this printer as default printer False Local Port actually I did not remove and re-join to domain but if you tell me that it might correct the problem I will do so. The applications I want to install are msi files since I want them to be deployed by GPO and therefore cannot just double click them and install them right on this machine right ?
September 30th, 2010 1:54am

Hello acmsoft, The GPresult above is not clear. We cannot plainly check the Gpresult from your client computer. So that we can help you isolate the issue, please answer the following questions: How many domain controllers are in the domain? If mutiple domain controllers in the domain, does GPMC is actually connecting to PDC emulator? Are you able to ping the problematic client computers successfully? Is the .msi program able to install directly on the client computers? Sometimes 32bit version programs do not support on 64bit version operation system and vice versa. Meanwhile, I suggest you turn off Fast Logon Optimization, use the following policy setting: Computer Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ System \ Logon \ Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon Logon Optimization http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa374350(VS.85).aspx Description of the Windows XP Professional Fast Logon Optimization feature http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305293/en-us If the problem persists, please try to configure Startup policy processing wait time setting and set it to 120 seconds under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy node, and then restart the machine to check if the problem would be go away. Also, I would like to collect userenv log for further troubleshooting, please upload log to SkyDrive.(please do not paste them to the forum) For Windows XP, please follow the step in the KB below: How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of Windows http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221833 For Windows Vista/7, please follow the step in the KB below: userenvlog for Windows Vista/2008/Win7 http://blogs.technet.com/b/mempson/archive/2010/01/10/userenvlog-for-windows-vista-2008-win7.aspx Brent Hu,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 30th, 2010 10:36pm

Hello, I have found out that it was an incorrect dns issue. Now I when I am publishing software it is appearing almost immediately on the install network programs from COntrol Panel. From what I have seen it is much easier to work when you set the application to Publish instead of Assigned as the latter. What I mean as the Published applications have all appeared but assigned applications which manually install ok do not install automatically. Is there any different thing you have to check when assigning applications or is it just a different option and should work as smooth as the Publish.
October 1st, 2010 12:31am

Hello acmsoft, >Is there any different thing you have to check when assigning applications or is it just a different option and should work as smooth as the Publish. Do you mean that you would like to collect information of managed software which are installed on the client computers? As you know software installation in group policy is not robust and all-in-one tool.(excluding System Center Configuration Manager) However, you can try to use Group Policy Inventory tool to check the results from client computers. Group Policy Inventory http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.02.utilityspotlight.aspx Assigning an application is very straightforward, as it basically just installs the software on the next log in after the GPO is applied. However publishing a package is a different thing all together. When you publish a package, it is not actually installed on the computer, but rather, it gives the end user the option of installing it. Once it is applied to a specific computer, the end user of that computer can open the Add/Remove Programs dialog from the control panel and choose to install the package from there. It is also important to note that a package can be assigned to a user or computer, but can only be published to users. Step-by-Step Guide to Software Installation and Maintenance -- see table 1 Publishing and Assigning Software http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742421.aspx Brent Hu, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
October 1st, 2010 2:54am

Hello acmsoft, >Is there any different thing you have to check when assigning applications or is it just a different option and should work as smooth as the Publish. Do you mean that you would like to collect information of managed software which are installed on the client computers? As you know software installation in group policy is not robust and all-in-one tool.(I would recommend to use System Center Configuration Manager) However, you can try to use Group Policy Inventory tool to check the results from client computers. Group Policy Inventory http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.02.utilityspotlight.aspx Assigning an application is very straightforward, as it basically just installs the software on the next log in after the GPO is applied. However publishing a package is a different thing all together. When you publish a package, it is not actually installed on the computer, but rather, it gives the end user the option of installing it. Once it is applied to a specific computer, the end user of that computer can open the Add/Remove Programs dialog from the control panel and choose to install the package from there. It is also important to note that a package can be assigned to a user or computer, but can only be published to users. Step-by-Step Guide to Software Installation and Maintenance -- see table 1 Publishing and Assigning Software http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742421.aspx Brent Hu, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
October 1st, 2010 9:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics