slow file sharing performance on windows server.
Hello I just enabled file sharing on the network. Both server and client are in ad domain. The servers are connected to a full speed gigabit conenction. I have tested and the connection gos up to 110 MB/s. Both servers have raid10 arrays. The problem is when I copy or create a folder in the share ( example administrative shares ) it won't go further than 10 MB/s, that's 10%. Are there any limitations on this? I simply don;t understand. To further test I added a virtual machine to the server and lcoally connected the network full virtual at 10 gbps and still... 10 mb/s. any help please...
April 30th, 2011 3:35pm

Hello, keep in mind that the network speed is not the only part that you have to check, The bottleneck when copying files is always the harddisk with it's read/write performance. If you use Windows server 2008 please see the following article also: http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/20/tcp-chimney-and-rss-features-may-cause-slow-file-transfers-or-cause-connectivity-problems.aspxBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 1st, 2011 6:39am

I folosed that link and did what it says won't help. disk is very speedy as this is a raid10 hardware array it writes locally with 300 MB/s. whta else should I check?
May 1st, 2011 4:17pm

I used that link and did what it says won't help. disk is very speedy as this is a raid10 hardware array it writes locally with 300 MB/s. whta else should I check?
May 1st, 2011 4:17pm

Hi, Please let us know what operating systems are installed on the server and the client first? Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
May 2nd, 2011 2:56am

hello both client and server have a fresh install of windows server 2008 R2 ( standard as server web as client ) . as hardward this are intel urbana s5500ur mb based.
May 2nd, 2011 9:50am

found the issue. domain controllers have write cache disabled. I managed to enforce it
May 3rd, 2011 2:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics