shares connections limits with a 2008 r2 server setup as workgroup
Hi, I will install my 2008 r2 next week, I purchase 10 add cals for a total of 15, I will like to use a worrkgroup instead of domain, because we have already 5 computers on the total of 13 with xp home or 7 premium, since I will hav only 1 server I don't want to assle with AD and DNS configuration, so a workgroup will be fine the question is , with a workgroup do I have a limitation of 10 on a share or I will have 15 ( # of cals ) thanks , and sorry english is not my first language . Jerry
December 17th, 2010 10:22pm

There are no connection limits on Server std or Enterprise, but that is independent of CAL's. You require CAL's to access services on the server such as file shares. I disagree with your choice not to build a domain with AD and DNS. With only 5 computers it is still faster to set up, and far easier to manage than a workgroup. IT folk tend to like "simple" thus you see very few using workgroups. Of course the XPhome units will not be able to join the domain, but they can still access shares and technically require CAL's.Rob
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 8th, 2011 8:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics