setup internet configuration

finally got the time to replace my SBS2003 server after many years of service without any problem. Installed it in 2005 without any problem. Now I'm installing my first 2012 essentials box, but I'm having some trouble with setting up the network configuration. In SBS2003 I have a NIC 1 (192.168.x.x) for the internal network and a NIC 2 (10.0.x.x) for the connecting to my internet router. I Only use VPN and RDP on my SBS2003 and I want to do so again. I have 4 workstations on the LAN side.

I installed the 2012 server software and setup the most things (DC, DNS, DHCP etc) through the wizards, but for some reason I can't get the routing, VPN etc configuration right. Looked around on the web, but I can't really figure it out. I also want't to use the (for me) new Access Anywhere functions. My server box has 4 NICS btw. 

I tried all 3 possibilities (edge, edge 1 NIC, 2 NIC) in the wizards, but no luck. I'm beginning to think I trying something which is not possible on server 2012 essentials. I'm at the point to reinstall the new server and start over.

So my questions:

How can I configure LAN/WAN access the same way as on my SBS2003 box? If this is not the way to go with server 2012, what steps do I have to take then? FYI: I'm not a hardcore servernerd (hence my question), but know the concepts of DHCP, DNS etc.

Thx!

September 8th, 2015 6:04pm

HI:

No version of SBS or SBSE since 2003 has supported more than one NIC.  In the system BIOS, or in Control Panel - Network, disable all but one NIC.  Assign the nic a static IP in the range of the LAN side of your router, where 192.168.XX.yyy is expected and XX is anything but 01 or 02.  I prefer the router/firewall be 192.168.xx.01 and the server be .02 but it does not really matter so long as they are in the same subnet.

Now you should be able to run the connect to the internet wizard and the remote access wizard and acquire an SSL certificate for your external RWA public DNS record.

the reason to not do 192.168.01 or 02 is because many home routers use this for defaults and VPNs require distinct subnets at each end.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 10:39pm

Hi,

The following is a diagram of a typical home or small business network(also applied to Essentials). Just for your reference:

More information you may reference:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3038.sbs-2011-essentials-router-setup.aspx

Best Regards,
Eve Wang
September 9th, 2015 11:06pm

Thx for the info! meanwhile I had discovered a similar image of the same configuration, but kept searching because I thought this was the second best way (to configurate the server not in between clients and router). So SBS2003 was the last one where it could be done the way I was familiar with.

I reinstalled the 2012 server and evrything is working fine, anywhere acces also works like a charm.
Thx for confirming this is the way to do it now a days.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 12th, 2015 3:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics