service packs and security
This seems like a very basic question so i apologize if it's been asked already.... I know Best Practices says to install service packs. From a technical point of view though, is a system on an old service pack (let's say for OS or SQL) but that is fully patched vulnerable to attack in the way that a system with the latest service pack but not fully patched is? Would a security audit nail you for having an old Service pack even if all patches are applied? Thanks.
March 7th, 2011 5:33pm

Hi, As long as all patches are applied, the system is safest no matter whether it is originally with an old service pack or not. Tim Quan
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 8th, 2011 12:28am

In message <3acc86f0-d51d-4a14-978a-932a9294be56@communitybridge.codeplex.com> someone claiming to be mocity typed: This seems like a very basic question so i apologize if it's been asked already.... I know Best Practices says to install service packs. From a technical point of view though, is a system on an old service pack (let's say for OS or SQL) but that is fully patched vulnerable to attack in the way that a system with the latest service pack but not fully patched is? Would a security audit nail you for having an old Service pack even if all patches are applied? Historically not all individual patches are released individually, certain patches (especially for vulnerabilities identified internally, and/or difficult to address issues) end up only in service packs. Personally I wouldn't skip a service pack without a compelling reason, although I don't rush them out quite as quickly as day to day patches.
March 10th, 2011 5:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics